Thursday, April 19, 2018

Trying to Figure Things Out

Today was Dad's first full day at Maunalani at the intermediate care level. He spent most of it sleeping. He got up a couple times to eat some of his lunch; since I had not had a chance to talk with the kitchen manager Dad ended up with teriyaki meatballs, rice, & vegetables. And Dad surprised me! He ate 3 of the 4 meatballs that were on the plate! He also ate a couple bites of rice and a couple of steamed vegetables. He didn't eat any dinner but he did drink a total of 2 boxes of Boost Breeze throughout the day. The Magic Cup did not show up; I will have to check on that.


After lunch the weather cleared up so I decided to walk to the park again. But this time I made sure to turn on the GPS on my phone to track the walk. A round trip from the 1st floor steps at Maunalani is 0.66 miles and took 15 minutes; it felt good to do something physical. Now I have to figure out how to do this type of tracking on the Fitbit; I may have to read the users manual.

After I got back from my walk, Dad was wanting to see Xander. Since there was enough time before dinner; I ran home and picked him up. I used the harness, leash, & soft-sided carrier that the cats traveled in the plane to get here; he seemed to be pretty calm about it.
Xander in the soft-sided carrier in the car.

I drew all the curtains around Dad's bed so that Xander couldn't see what was going on in the hallways or the next bed. His ears kept swiveling around trying to figure out what was happening, but he did settle down enough for a quick nap. And when it was time to leave he almost remembered the "kennel up" command; he would only put the front half of his body in the carrier, I had to push the rest of him in. Maybe next time he'll do better.
Xander and Dad taking a snooze.

Here are the 4 papayas I picked the other night. I gave one of them to the Lois when I went over to tell them that Dad was at Maunalani. The rest of them will go to Curtis on Saturday.


I started out the morning with Lani & Chris from Sears fixing the refrigerator. Lani also checked on all the warranties, and found that Jacob had neglected to verify that all the model numbers were consistent. It turns out the old refrigerator is so old they will no longer cover it; they'll send me a refund on that. And the number for the range is for the one Mom had in 2005, not the new 2015 one. As I was talking to Abraham about removing the old range from the warranty list and adding the new range, he asked, "Is your Mom there so I can speak to her?" This was right after Lani & I told him that I was not Helen because Helen passed away last year! Turns out since Mom died, there is a bunch of paperwork I need to send to them before they can change the name on the account to me. It's been over a year since she died; I thought I had completed all the paperwork! I told him I should change it to Curtis since he's getting the house; Abraham said its easier to change with a live person.
The aftermath of defrosting the freezer.
Back in action.

No comments:

Post a Comment