Thursday, May 10, 2018

North Shore Grinds

Today I had lunch with Tricia at North Shore Grinds. She had told me about it when I was getting my tattoo on Sunday. We both had the Teriyaki Plate; hers with macaroni salad, mine with a green salad. She gave me her punch card since it is about 30 minutes for her to get here and only 6 for me. I forgot to take a photo of Tricia with her meal. Next time.


Tricia said my tattoo is healing well, in fact she said it is farther along in the healing than others she's worked with. She said it will begin itching soon as it heals more and I may have pieces of skin sloughing off. Or not. She said she had one tattoo where one part was sloughing a lot but the rest of it did nothing. I will see her again in late July for her to examine it and do any touch ups, if needed. During the first 6 months, she does a free touch up if the tattoo has been cared for properly during the healing period, i.e., no direct sun exposure, no scratching, etc.

I headed directly up to Maunalani after lunch; I could just barely see the edge of the roof of the nursing home when I was at North Shore Grinds. Dad is still not eating much solid food, mainly drinking the Boost nutritional supplements. For dinner he had a couple of bites of egg salad sandwich, couple bites of chocolate cake, and 240 ml Breeze with almost 300 ml Plus.


After dinner Dad had a slight fever, 99.8 degrees F. The protocol is to give the resident Tylenol to see if the fever will go down. When CNA Luz checked in an hour his temperature had gone down to 99.0 F. They monitor every hour to see if the temperature continues to go down. If it doesn't, they will start putting ice packs around him to lower his temperature. If that happens Luz will call me and I will go back and sit with him so that the ice packs stay on more than off; we had to do that the last time they used ice packs. So far, no phone call.

On the walk to Maunalani Park in the afternoon I saw a female Northern Cardinal and a Cattle Egret. I normally see the Cattle Egret but haven't taken a good photo of it yet. I also saw a House Sparrow and Zebra Dove. All of these are non-native species; of all the birds I've seen at the park only the Kolea is a native bird. Regarding the Kolea, I was actually surprised to see it the other day; and not at all surprised not to see it today. I had thought they all left on their migration a couple of weeks ago. The one across the street at the neighbor's house had left and the one that I saw on the upper lawn at Maunalani when Dad was first here had also left. So it was a real surprise to see that male Kolea on Tuesday down at the park.
Female Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis)
Cattle Egret (Bubulcus ibis)

I spent part of this morning cleaning up the guest bedroom. I will be moving in to it from the bedroom I am in now. Being in the guest bedroom will consolidate most of my activities in to the easterly portion of the house. The room I am in now is next to the master bedroom that The Roommates are in, it has 2 built-in desks. The Roommates can use the desks for their computers; one still has a desktop, the other has a laptop. There will still be a bed in that room so it can still be used by a guest. The middle bedroom will also be available for guests. Moving to the easterly end of the house will also mean that the cats won't bother The Roommates when they sit outside my bedroom door and try to wake me up in the middle of the night by yowling!
East wall, after; just imagine this corner filled with boxes for the before photo.
West wall, before.
West wall, partially done.

I also did laundry this morning. And discovered that I forgot to take the dog and cat treats out of my pocket! Fortunately, the bags did not open up all the way and make a major mess.
Treats, top Feline Greenies SmartBites; bottom Blue Wilderness Trail Treats Wild Bites.

While I was hanging the laundry I found another discarded egg shell; this one had little reddish-brown spots all over it. I think it might be a House Sparrow egg. And it was on the concrete patio, not near any trees. That's when I remembered that the parents take the egg shell away from the nest to discard it so the scent does not attract predators.


I found out today that one of The Roommates knows how to make Green Papaya Salad and Green Papaya Soup. Curtis says if The Roommate makes a good Green Papaya Salad, he will become The Most Favorite Roommate! I told The Roommate to feel free to pick papayas to make any green or other ripeness papaya dishes. (I am now secretly glad that I planted 3 papayas!)

The potential Most Favorite Roommate made dinner tonight. He cooked Pork Larb with rice and Chocolate Avocado Cookies. They were both good.
Pork Larb.
Chocolate Avocado Cookie.

Happy Birthday to Margaret!

No comments:

Post a Comment