Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Somewhat Quarantined for Flu

When I arrived this morning the receptionist on the 1st floor said they were discouraging people from visiting due to the flu; there were 3 people on the 3rd floor and 1 person on the 2nd floor confirmed to have the flu. All activities had been cancelled since most of them occur on the 3rd floor. Staff goes in to those rooms with the same contact precautions as they are taking for Dad's possible conjunctivitis. CNA Jessa was able to feed Dad a little after she gave him his bed bath this morning.
CNA Jessa wears the contact precautions gear while she feeds Dad.

A part of reducing the possibility of transmission between residents is to keep them on their respective floors and minimize visitors spreading the flu between floors by having 2nd floor visitors come in through the stairwell up to the 2nd floor. Second floor visitors are also asked to use either the 1st floor or 2nd floor staff bathrooms instead of going to the 3rd floor visitors bathrooms. I used the 1st floor bathroom today; it has 1 separate toilet and 2 others that are in stalls. The separate toilet is not ADA-compliant.
It's a 30" wide door with a 30" wide space that it opens in to.

Once again, I saw no one at Maunalani Park during my walk today. I only saw one man walking up the hill as I was going down; he walks a lot slower than I do. I did it in 2.9 mph again, but I was feeling the heat; it was sunny with no light drizzle today.

Just before my walk Dad started with a low grade fever of 99.5 degrees F. RN Ellie gave him Tylenol to bring it down. But when I came back from my walk the fever was now at 100.4 F. CNA Dennis brought in ice packs for Dad.

This morning when I turned the television on to create some noise all I got was snow. According to Curtis the provider Spectrum has gone to an all digital signal and a special box is needed to get the signal. I will have to call tomorrow to find out about it. Until I moved back home in 2016, I had lived in houses without television since 1979. According to Curtis I have missed out on American classics like The Simpsons, Friends, and X Files. And the Steelers winning the Superbowl. I do remember being on the outer edge of a conversation about the Iran Contra hearings & a co-worker saying they were only going to be able to get illiterate, ignorant people for the jury because there was so much TV coverage. He didn't know what to say when I said I had no TV. (Personally, I didn't understand why only illiterate, ignorant people would be the only ones without TV.)


Xander has been acting really strange lately. He insists on sleeping on the same chair as Shiro. Usually he wants to have nothing to do with Shiro and will move to another spot.


Happy Birthday to Janice & Allison!

No comments:

Post a Comment