Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Busy Day in Green Bay

We had breakfast with Robert; he took us to Perkins Restaurant & Bakery. Robert had the French Toast Platter, Kai had Strawberry Cream Cheese Crispers, and I had the California Avocado Benedict.

Strawberry Cream Cheese Crispers.
French Toast Platter.
California Avocado Benedict.
A close-up of the avocado layer; no skimpy avocado like at Moena Cafe!

After breakfast as we ran across the street to do an errand for Kai; we had to return his Danner boots that he ordered when he was visiting me in February. They were one size too small. With the return label from Danner and the helpful lady at the UPS store we were on our way to the Oneida Nation Museum in about 5 minutes.

As we were leaving the UPS store, we saw a very old McDonald's sign, the type used between 1962 and 1968. Technically, the sign is correct on the number of burgers sold, though I think they passed 100 million a very long time ago!


It rained on the way to the Oneida Nation Museum; the kind of rain that reminded all of us of western Washington!


Although it is on the smaller side, the Oneida Nation Museum was great! But then, I like museums. Especially museums about culture and history. Originally, the Oneida were located in what is now New York state; they were one of the tribes in the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Confederacy. The US Constitution was influenced by how the Grand Council of the Six Nations (i.e., the Haudenosaunee Confederacy) operated. 

When I originally tried to open this screen on their display, I totally screwed it up! They has to send the IT guy out to reset it. And to also lock the controls so you couldn't swipe left, right, or any direction!
This design is seen a lot around the Green Bay area.
I scored 150 points playing this lacrosse video game!
This is Corn Husk Man.
A lot of tribal members enlisted as Code Talkers, including 4 from the Oneida Nation of Wisconsin.
Robert's cousin Lloyd was a Code Talker.
Everything at the museum is labelled!

By the time we finished going through the museum (and a school tour was just coming in to the building) it had stopped raining. We decided to go on the nature trail through the forest surrounding the museum.

There were a lot of nice interpretive signs, but the plants didn't always cooperate and pop up near the sign.
Kai and Robert checking out the Runner's Hut.
 
There were also models representing each of the clan totems.

At the very start of the trail is a station to clean things off your boots so you don't track any seeds of invasive plant species in to the area; I think all trails should have something like that. In my work with mitigation and restoration sites, controlling invasive species can be a major expense; it's more cost-effective to keep them out in the first place.


The bridges and overpasses around Green Bay and Oneida are frequently decorated with designs that are culturally appropriate for the area.
The Oneida Nation of Wisconsin's clan totems.
The Green Bay skyline.
The Green Bay Packers logo.

On the other side of the last bridge was another destination; Lambeau Field, home of the Green Bay Packers. I'm visiting it for Curtis. We checked things out for him, but didn't go on the tour. Neither Kai nor I are big football fans, so we just got information about the tour for Curtis. I do like Green Bay's very strong community connection; I think it would be great if all football teams were owned by the community like the Packers.
Kai & Robert hanging out with Vince Lombardi.
Even I know who Vince Lombardi is without a TV and not being a football fan.
But I have no idea what this is about.
A couple of these names I've heard of, but I can't tell you much more than that.
The Oneida Nation has a gate named after it; Robert says they still have to stand in line like everyone else.

Since I am still operating on Hawai'i time and Kai is still operating on Seattle time, Robert dropped us off at the Radisson to catch a nap before dinner which was at Nakashima of Japan. Dinner was so-so; I think their big draw is the theatrics of the chefs and not the quality of the food. Robert just had Shrimp Tempura with Fried Rice, Kai had the Angus Steak Hibachi Dinner, and I had the Scallop Hibachi Dinner. (The best part was the green tea ice cream, that he had to order & pay for separately. Not sure why they think orange sherbet should be part of the meal package.) We chose the hibachi side rather than the sushi bar side because Robert doesn't like to eat raw seafood; I ordered some futo maki sushi for him that was made only with cooked items, he liked it. The decor was kinda strange, ninja figures in various poses lurking around the bathrooms and dining areas.

Kai approaching the front door.
A ninja figure lurking over the entrance to the men's bathroom.
A rather bland beef broth osuimono, I should have requested the miso shiru.
L to R: Tobiko (flying fish egg), Tobiko with Yuzu (Japanese citrus), amasu shoga (pickled ginger), wasabi (Japanese horseradish), and 4 pieces of futo maki sushi.
Our chef playing with fire. Kai thinks they use canola oil as the fuel source that is vaporized by the addition of water to the hot oil, then lit with a match.
The vegetables & scallops for my dinner. Since it's prepared in front of you by only one person, all parts of the meal are not hot & ready at the same time. The shiitake mushrooms and moyashi (bean sprouts) are missing.
Kai's Angus steak dinner, also lacking some parts.

As I said, Kai was still running on Seattle time; he needed coffee after dinner to keep awake. So we headed to Barnes & Noble, this particular one now has a Starbuck's inside. And you can wander around the bookstore part with your caffeinated drink of choice in your hand; Kai had a White Chocolate Mocha, Robert had an Americano, & I had a Green Tea Latte made with soy milk. I also bought a book; Kai could not bring himself to buy a book when he could get a bag full of books at Goodwill for the same price. (My type of books don't usually show up at Goodwill.)
Must be nice to be able to check out what's hiding on the top shelf!

While driving around I noticed that the fire hydrants had a little red & white striped "antenna" sticking up from them; I could not figure out why. Robert said it was so they could be found in the winter when the snow was really deep; no wonder I could not figure that out! I have never lived any place with really deep snow.


We have been running around enough these couple of days that I can now recognize places and roads close to the Radisson. I know when I see the National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration's weather station I am close to the hotel! It's a rather unique landmark.
It looks like a giant soccer ball on a pedestal.

Here are the books & omiyage that I bought the last couple of days.

I don't think any of these books will ever show up at a Goodwill.
Sky Woman, a creation story.
Tea from Kai's favorite tea company.
Packer stuff!
Maple syrup & bison jerky produced by the Oneida Nation.

Of course, I had to end the day with a trip to the exercise room. I did my whole 30 minute walk at 2.9 mph. I also grabbed a cold towel right at the beginning so I could wipe off the sweat that I knew I would be generating. (I also got one at the end, too.) And I took my water bottle with me and surprised myself by being able to take a quick drink without falling off the treadmill!
Last night I only walked 1.37 miles & burned 120 calories.

Happy Birthday to Marcia, Kip, Evelyn, & Peter!

No comments:

Post a Comment