Saturday, June 2, 2018

It's Saturday!

The Roommates and I missed last week's episodes of the Filipino soap opera and samurai soap opera that we watched the previous week. The Filipino soap opera comes on first; it is called My Destiny. It appears the main characters are Grace and her sister Joy; Grace appears to work for a catering service and Joy has leukemia (that she tried to keep hidden from her family in the 1st episode we watched, they found out). Grace is somewhat romantically involved with Matthew whom she stood up for a date; and Joy is flirting with Lucas, an intern at the hospital where she is being treated. Surprise! They are the same guy! And he also has a girlfriend named Janine! Matthew/Lucas' father is a doctor at the same hospital Joy is in and his mother is openly having an affair with Rocky who appears to be in his 20's, while Matthew/Lucas' younger brother (whose name I haven't figured out yet) is rather a playboy who is giving older brother (bad) advice; he has a girlfriend named Nicole, whose older brother Jacob is at the hospital assisting his ex-wife who is in labor while her husband is out of town. Jacob likes to stick his nose in other people's business; the 1st one we watched he was telling Matthew/Lucas to keep his brother away from his sister Nicole. When Matthew/Lucas stood up for his brother, Jacob told him about his mother's affair. Then there is "Mr. Trustworthy", a woman texting to Joy as if she were an interested boyfriend; I was informed by The Roommate Who Is Learning How to Give Xander His Meds that this is called "catfishing." So this is what I was missing all these years that I lived without TV?

Matthew was attending the wedding with Janine, while Grace was part of the catering crew. Not sure why they chose jellyfish as the theme of the wedding.

The samurai soap opera is Lone Wolf with Cub; it tends to follow the standard samurai genre. Lots of swordplay that should cause a lot of blood loss but none is seen. Lots of overly dramatic dying. And lots of philosophical dialogue.  

I visited Xander first thing this morning at the Cat Clinic; he was not looking well. The Vincristine treatment really wiped him out. They are giving him intravenous fluids since he's been throwing up and hasn't been drinking. Dr. Sylvester called me today to let me know that they tube fed him to get some nutrients in to him since he is not eating on his own.


Dad was in the Orchid Dining Room when I arrived at Maunalani, he didn't eat any of it, just drank the Boost supplements. Then he made up the excuse that he had to go to the bathroom but just wanted to get back in bed; so we let him take a nap. When Zhanna arrived for physical therapy he refused to get out of bed so she made him do exercises in bed. Zhanna also talked to Kimberley about having his PT scheduled for about 9 am so that he is still in the wheelchair and can easily be wheeled over to the Wellness Center.


While I was waiting for Dad to finish his breakfast, I noticed there is a ridge on the other side of the valley that looks like Awini. I wonder if the trail to Awini is still usable? I know a part of the trail collapsed after the 2006 earthquake, but I think that was past Awini, perhaps it was at Honokane Nui or Honokane Iki. I'll have to ask the next time I am in Kohala.
The lone tree at the left is what reminds me of Awini.

When I got home I checked the plants, this might be the last time before my trip. I harvested 5 papayas; all the papaya plants are producing a lot of fruit. The pakalana is not quite ready to harvest; I had been hoping to get some to make a short strand to attach to my silk pakalana hatband, but that's not happening. In fact, I think I might miss all the blossoms. Mom's orchids are doing great!

Only one pakalana blossom has opened.


The Potential Most Favorite Roommate "cooked" tonight; we had laulau, lomi salmon, poi, kim chee, and Korean leftovers.


Happy Birthday to Uncle Kazu, Patricia, Janet, Ken, Marla, & Fatima!

No comments:

Post a Comment