Saturday, July 14, 2018

Bon Odori

We picked Uncle Kazu up & took him to Obon tonight. He had a good time watching the dancers, seeing many of his friends & relatives, and eating. Cousin Leilani came from Waimea to join us. She got me out dancing, sort of. We made a deal to go to bon odori practice next year so we look like we know what we're doing out there!
Bon odori.
L to R: Lefty, Uncle Kazu.
L to R: Lem, Uncle Kazu.
L to R: Coke, manju, boiled peanuts, BBQ meat, Coke. We also got Spam musubi & furikake musubi.

The evening started out a little wet; it frequently does in this part of the island. I was turning on the LED lights in the chochin when the rain started; the durable water repellent feature of the Columbia sun protection shirt & my Goretex hat kept me relatively dry.



As part of the Obon celebration, the Kohala Jodo Mission also pays tribute to the 22 Kohala residents who were killed during World War II, the Korean Conflict, & the Vietnam Era. Among them was Sonny, the son of one of my grandparents' neighbors at Halawa Camp. During the time I lived there with my grandparents, Sonny was like an older brother to me.



We started out the morning by doing laundry; because he was traveling light, Kai had worn all his clothes and needed to wash them in order to have clean clothes for Obon. (There is a 40+ year old washer at the house that sort of works but no dryer & no clothes line right now.) Since we had to go to Waimea to do laundry, I also spent time looking for towel racks to match the hardware on the shower door.

Here's the shower door hardware.
Here's the empty wall waiting for the towel racks.
The current towel rack.
No luck here; I also tried Ace Hardware. I think I need to go to the big HPM in Kona.

We ate lunch in Waimea before heading back. In February we had these great poke nachos from Manuela Malasada Company, but sadly found that they only had that as a special for the Cherry Blossom Heritage Festival. They did, however, refer us to Island Style Grindz which was just down the road at Church Row.
Waiting for his malasadas.
Waiting for the poke nachos.
Poke nachos, made with won tun chips.

Happy Birthday to Dr. T, Dianne, Kathy, & Brenda!

No comments:

Post a Comment