Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Going to Moku o Keawe

Late this afternoon I met Kai at the Kona Airport; it is our annual trip for Obon. I managed to squeeze in a walk this morning; I found that someone is feeding the birds near the park. I really needed that walk; I try to do a weigh-in just before any trips I take since I know my exercise level will be less and my dining out level will be more. This morning I found I had gained 2.2 pounds since Saturday! It must have been the breakfast at Waipahu Cafe; I knew I should have only eaten half of it! Auwe!
Zebra Doves & Spotted Doves feeding on what appears to be cooked rice.

Later I went to see Dad up at Maunalani and got him to drink his breakfast supplements; when I left he was listening to the Hawaiian music group playing in the Castle Living Room. I noticed that they have a glitzier poster about their fitness program now.

My sun protection shirt from Columbia Sportswear arrived this morning! The original Track Your Shipment text I got said it would arrive on Friday by 8 pm. The next text said Thursday by 8 pm. Then it said Wednesday by 8 pm. And this morning it said it was delivered at 9:32 am! I had enough time to wash it, hang it outside to dry, and then wear it during my traveling. I love it! It fits well, I can roll up the sleeves, and still have 2 fingers width of space! And its got nice, big, velcro secured pockets! Did I already tell you, I love this shirt?

I got to the airport about 1:15, not quite 2 hours before my flight. I did not have TSA Pre-check like many of my other flights and found myself in a very long line. It was like waiting in the Washington State Ferry line on summer weekends & holidays; you watch for the sign to see how many boats away you are from actually getting across the Sound!
It was quite accurate.

My flight was from Gate B5. If you ever need to find Gate B5, look in back between Gates B3 and B4, its hidden between them! I checked out the new paint job on the Hawaiian Airlines planes. Information I have read says the graphic is of maile intertwined with pakalana! I am glad they chose my favorite flower that has a unique spicy fragrance and not the more well known, very sweet smelling pikake.
 

My plane left Honolulu at 2:30 and arrived in Kona at 3:21; Kai's flight was scheduled to land at 3:20 but I would not know until I saw him. His phone died and he has been having difficulty getting a new battery for it; so we made plans last night via e-mail where to meet. However, my plane arrived about 10 minutes before his did so I had time to find his gate and wait for him to deplane. It turns out he was not in First Class, he was in 2nd class (which I didn't know even existed). He said it is one small step up from steerage. He wasn't able to take any photos since his phone was dead.

Driving away from the airport we noticed a lot more haze in the air. If you weren't familiar with the landscape, it might look normal to you. We could also feel it a little in our throats.
(Photo by Kai)

We stopped in Waimea for dinner at the Noodle Club. We shared the Crispy Baby Back Ribs x2, Korean Fried Chicken, and Kim Chee Bacon Fried Noodles. Kai also had a Green Tea Latte. For dessert Kai had the Yuzu Pudding Cake and I had the Dairy-Free Chocolate Mousse. This is really going to mess up my weight loss program!
Crispy Baby Back Ribs x2. (It looked better before we started eating them.)
Kim Chee Bacon Fried Noodles.
KFC, Korean Fried Chicken.
Since when did mountain men drink Green Tea Lattes?
Yuzu Pudding Cake.
Dairy-free Chocolate Mousse.
Waimea, early evening drizzle.

It was about 7 by the time we got to the house. I started by sweeping the ramp off so we wouldn't track more debris in to the house. We were still greeted by dead bodies of unfortunate geckos and spiders. Plus lots of little dead bugs in the shower, they are always there; my first shower is always about 15 minutes longer since I clean out the shower before I actually get around to taking my shower.
Gecko mummy.
Spider mummy.
Kitchen sink
Shower.

I discovered, once again, TSA searched my suitcase. I wish they would say what it is that prompted their search, then I would stop packing it in my suitcase! Yes, this is my normal suitcase with the construction materials, but its only a 16' tape measure and zip ties this time. There were no batteries or drills or label makers. And no boxes of drink supplements for Dad. Or canned cheese. This is like the 8th or 9th time they have searched my suitcase; I keep most of them visible in the suitcase so that they can see that they have been in there before.


Tomorrow we go to Hilo to visit Aunty Doris & Uncle Tom. Friday we hope to take Uncle Kazu out for lunch and ice cream. Saturday is Obon. Sunday Patrick has invited me to the Hawaii Wildlife Center to help with some animal care. On Monday we clean up, close up, and return to Honolulu. A nice, relaxing trip ...

Happy Birthday to Yupa!

No comments:

Post a Comment