Monday, July 2, 2018

Happy 3rd Anniversary, Chibi!

Chibi arrived on this day in 2015. She joined Xander, much to his irritation; Xander liked being the only cat in the household. It has taken Chibi a while, but now at 11 years old she is less flighty; she will even come up to The Roommates even if they have no treats for her. I think Sam was instrumental in getting Chibi over her fear of new people.


During my morning walk I saw a new bird, I think it is a Hwamei (Garrulax canorus). But my photos are not clear enough to show the eye ring & stripe and none of the online photos show a light rump. I definitely know it is none of the birds I have already identified at the park. This would be #19.


I also saw a young Common Myna this morning; so young it could not fly yet. I pondered whether I should catch it and put it up in a tree so it was safe from ground predators. Or leave it to get eaten since not only is it an invasive species, it is one of the top 100 worst invasive species in the world. I left it. With Hawai'i's unique bird life I cannot with good conscience consider aiding a species that helps to wipe out other species.


At the beginning of each month the residents are weighed; for Dad it is very important so that we can see if he is getting enough through the supplements only to keep his weight stable. In June he was 123.4 pounds. Today he was 124 pounds! Yay!

Dad went to Namaste at mid-morning; so I made another walk to the park. I think if I can I will make 3 walks to the park. I did not see the young Myna during my mid-morning walk. Someone in a truck driving by the park waved to me, I know it wasn't one of the staff since it was not shift change. I think it might have been Kelly because I think I saw Abby looking out the window. Or maybe it was Bruce, but I think he & Chris live downhill from the park since I have seen them walking along the road in that area. (The truck was going uphill, towards the direction that Kelly & Abby live in.)

I couldn't find the lunch schedule so I am just guessing at what was for lunch. It looked like Miso furikake fish, Edamame, Wild rice pilaf, Tossed salad, & Strawberry shortcake.


By my last walk of the day in the afternoon the air quality was really bad.


Happy Birthday to Melia!

No comments:

Post a Comment