Friday, July 13, 2018

I Think I Have 2 New Cats

When we arrived on Wednesday evening we saw 2 cats on the ramp to the front door scatter & head under the house as we drove up. We did not see them again until tonight. Then I put out some cat food. Yes, I am a sucker for homeless cats. It appears they are kittens rather than just small cats; I will have to invest in some kitten food. The one with the Siamese points is more bold than the other one with the orange markings. They may be one of the reasons the motion-sensor flood light keeps going on in the middle of the night.
I put the food out about 3 hours before I took this photo.

Today we took Uncle Kazu out to lunch; we went to our usual place, Minnie's. And he had his usual lunch, the Ahi Plate with his done medium with potato macaroni salad. I also had the Ahi Plate but I like mine seared with coleslaw. Kai had the Ahi Burger, seared.
Ahi plate with coleslaw.
Ahi burger.

After lunch we took Uncle Kazu to Mahukona to sit on the pier and look out at the water. Besides swimmers and fishermen, we also saw a spearfisherman hunting along the reef just in front of us.


We always end by getting ice cream with Uncle Kazu and today was no exception. We went to King's View; he got chocolate and Kai tried the ube. I also wanted chocolate, but the lady dishing up the ice cream thought I said macadamia nut; not sure how you can mis-hear chocolate as madadamia nut, one has 3 syllables, the other has 6 syllables. Oh well, I took the macadamia nut.
Uncle Kazu with his chocolate ice cream.
Kai with his ube ice cream; I took this with the selfie function.
The view from King's View Cafe.

Before we went to lunch we went to the cemetery and put up the chochin and flowers and made incense offerings at the Takatani family graves. We also dropped off a food donation with the fujinkai ladies for tomorrow night's osettai meal after the bon odori.

The poinsettia that I had put out at the grave in December was dead; it was still alive in early February but I guess it couldn't handle the hot summer days. I picked up a portulaca at Sunshine Hardware; it is a succulent flowering herb that does better under drier conditions. We'll see how it does over the next couple of months.

We made a quick stop at the Hawaii Wildlife Center (HWC) after we dropped Uncle Kazu off. I wanted to see if Alexis was still there; her e-mail bounced back when I tried to let her know I could take some things back for her on Monday. Alexis was still there but I found out Dannette has left to travel now that her last child is out of high school. On Sunday I get to meet Patrick and work with him on some of the animals.


We spent some time walking around the garden at HWC; I wanted to take a look at the native plants to see what I might like to plant at my house. I want to replace the invasives that I removed with native plants but I am not sure yet exactly what I want to use. Here are a couple that I am considering.
Koki'o ke'oke'o, a native hibiscus (Hibiscus waimeae).
Pohinahina (Vitex rotundifolia).

A couple days ago, when we arrived, I put the pakalana lei that I made for my hat on the butsudan. I also put the miniature white anthurium up by the butsudan; I will plant that out on one of the hapu'u later.


No comments:

Post a Comment