Saturday, July 7, 2018

Windy & Drizzly Today

I did most of my morning walk in a light drizzle; it was refreshing. It was also very breezy. On the way down I found an unfortunate Spotted Dove (Streptopelia chinensis); not sure what happened or when it happened. But I do know that it was not there yesterday during my afternoon walk.


CJ sent me some photos of additional sun protection gear she has from Pelagic. I checked out Pelagic's website; the thing I don't understand is UV protection bikinis. Huh? They don't have any  UV protection speedos for men. West Marine apparently carries some of the Pelagic items; I will have to check them out the next time I am there. CJ also mentioned a UV Buff; I checked it out, West Marine also carries Buffs! I found that some Buffs are also made with both UV blocking and insect repellent properties; I'll have to get one for use on the Big Island! Although the work I had done thinning the trees has greatly decreased the amount of mosquitoes, they still come around when there is no breeze.
Pelagic UV hoodie. (Photo by CJ)
Pelagic UV buff. (Photo by CJ)

I did my weigh-in this morning and was pleasantly surprised to find that I had lost 0.9 pounds over the last week in spite of having 2 big breakfasts with Curtis. That's a total of 10 pounds lost since I started my Fitbit weight loss program on December 29th; only 15.4 more to go! I have been skipping the Ultra Soy in the morning so that it doesn't interfere with the doxycycline so I will have to see what happens when I reintroduce it after I am done with the doxycycline; the last dose should be the morning of July 11th.

Dad insisted he could get out of the wheelchair by himself and get in to bed; I had to work hard at keeping him in the wheelchair until the CNAs could help him. One thing they did before he got back in to bed was make him stand up at the railing in the hallway to give his legs some exercise; I think if we do this everytime before we let him get back in to bed we can get his legs strong enough that he can transfer himself back to bed.
CNAs Frances (front) & Jessa (back) help Dad stand up at the railing for exercise.

Dad ate 1/4 of a peanut butter & jelly sandwich today for lunch! That's the most solid food he has eaten in a couple of months. But he wouldn't eat any of today's regular meal which was Chinese style steamed fish, Steamed rice, Sesame garlic eggplant, Tossed salad, Almond float, & Egg drop soup.



On my afternoon walk I found another dead bird. This one was on the sidewalk and I know I did not see it in the morning even though it looked like it had been there awhile. Not sure what kind this one is or was.


This is a blog by a field biologist who is missing the field. What did you expect to find here? When I was a real field biologist (as opposed to the citizen scientist field biologist that I am now) I took photos of dead birds and other wildlife at our project sites; it was additional documentation of what had been using our sites. I also took photos of tracks, scat, & spoor. (Do you know what beaver poop look like?) And I took photos of live things, too; like this one below.
Live male Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis) singing.

Happy Birthday to Uncle Howie, John, & Ka'ohe!

No comments:

Post a Comment