Saturday, February 27, 2016

Catie's Critters, Part 1

I was intending to post only info about my previous experiences with Mom and dealing with her dementia until I was up to date. But I see that I will have to intersperse posts about current events with posts about earlier events. Like what I am doing this weekend, since I know Catie's critters have generated interest in the past. It's a mental health vacation!

When I first started doing critter-sitting for Catie and her family they were renting a place a couple houses away from us. I think the first time I took care of the animals they had 5 cats, a bunch of gerbils, a Chinese water dragon, and perhaps a couple of fish. Later they added 3 dogs in place of the Chinese water dragon. And over the years they have also had a parakeet, finches, and love birds. After they moved in to their own home on one occasion they had 6 cats, 3 dogs, 23 chickens, 3 ducks, a turkey, 2 rabbits, and I can't remember how many bettas. Catie always leaves very detailed care and feeding instructions (sometimes with illustrations).

This weekend there are 2 dogs, 7 cats, 1 hamster, 2 rats, 11 bettas, 5 neon tetras, 1 blue gourami, 1 bearded dragon, 1 corn snake, and 1 red-tailed boa. And a bunch of roaches (the 6-legged kind) for Lela the bearded dragon. Here's Lela finishing off her 3 roaches for the day. She can tell when the roaches are being removed from their cage, she is instantly out in the open looking for them. She looked like she was ready to jump to the top of the cage to get them if I didn't throw them in quickly enough!
Lela the bearded dragon

Catie's fish have taken over her closet. Previously the closet has been used as an incubator for chicks.
The Fish Closet

One of the cats has to stay inside. He has a neurological condition where he has trouble coordinating his limbs. He wobbles when he walks, as if he is drunk. He's doing a lot better than when he was younger.
Uncoordinated Kitty



No comments:

Post a Comment