Monday, August 29, 2016

Lots Going On

There's been a lot going on since I last posted on Friday. But before I get on with the new stuff I wanted to share a photo of a selfie in progress, taken on the day Sarah and David left.
L to R: Mom, Dad, Kai, Sarah, & David

Sometime on Friday, David reached the summit of Mount Rainier. He sent a photo to Grandma of him at the summit. His friend who took the photo is a better climber than he is a photographer!


On Saturday we had several visitors. Cousin Richard, who is from the Hilo side of the family, and his wife Mae stopped in for a quick visit. They live in Maryland and are back for Mae's 50th high school reunion. I haven't seen them in over 30 years! It was nice to reconnect with them; they will be here for a couple more days. They brought some malasadas from Leonard's Bakery.
L to R: Mae, Mom, Dad, & Richard

Later on Saturday, cousin Yvonne, Mom's brother George's 3rd daughter, came by with her husband Lawrence. I haven't seen Yvonne in 22 years; it was good to see her again, too! (This is the first time I've met Lawrence, they were married in March.) They are visiting from California; they'll be here until the end of the week. It made Mom very happy to see all the relatives and their spouses!
L to R: Yvonne, Mom, & Lawrence

They brought some pastries from Kulukulu including these cream puffs.


Today we went out for lunch with Yvonne and Lawrence at Big City Diner. Mom had the Grilled Asian Fish Oriental with Baby Bok Choy - a somewhat redundant name; she enjoyed it. I had the Chicken and Mushroom Pesto with Garlic Bread. I was not impressed with it; this is the first dish I have had that was not excellent. As usual, I had the Li Hing Lemonade; I will have to make it with Grandpa Mui's All Natural Li Hing Mui Powder.
L: Grilled Asian Fish Oriental, R: Chicken and Mushroom Pesto

Today I have confirmed that the bulbuls are nesting in the yard. As I was coming back from checking the mail the bulbuls were making a big racket then suddenly a fledgling bulbul sort of flew up in front of me. It could only get a few inches off the ground and could only keep up the flapping for a few seconds. It was headed for the road so I ran ahead of it to direct it back towards the yard; it did not cooperate. I ended up catching it a short while later when it ran out of steam near the wall. I put it back in the pomelo tree but it promptly launched itself off the branch, since it was within the safety of the yard I left it alone. Dad was sitting outside so he could watch for any cats that might be on the prowl. When I checked later it was no where to be found. I'm not sure if it hopped up the mango tree or in to a small bush but the parents weren't squawking either so it must not have been in danger. Sorry, no photos, it happened too suddenly and I wanted to get it before it got out to the road.

Stopped by Kokua Market after the Humane Society today. Still no Momo. Found out Karina (one of the employees who has been helping me) is leaving, tomorrow is her last day. We are hoping she calls me tomorrow to say, "Momo has been found!" She said that would make her very happy! Me, too!

Did I mention that I like avocados? Well, I do. So do Mom and Dad. It's a healthy source of fat for Mom and its easy for Dad to chew. Kokua has a lot of locally grown produce and I have seen 3 different varieties of avocados there and none were Hass! Here is a Teshima avocado, when it starts to turn red it is ready to eat. When it is really red it is too soft and mushy for me.


Happy Belated Birthday to Deb! Happy Belated 50th Anniversary to Diann and Bob!

No comments:

Post a Comment