Friday, August 12, 2016

One Down, ??? To Go

Yay! We closed one of Mom's accounts today! So one down ... and who knows how many more to go. Yesterday, as I was searching for the original Trust documents, I found 2 more accounts that we did not know about. Today I found the digital file for the spreadsheet from 2013 that Curt and I have been working off. Since Mom's computer does not have a program that I can use to open and edit it with, I now have it on my laptop. Once I update it with what I have done for this week I will have a better idea of how much more there is to do.

One thing I have discovered is that the financial institutions would like an original document in order to set up the trusts. I know that when I created a Trust I was given several original documents to be taken to my financial institutions. So far I have not found any original documents; I think they are in the safe deposit box; the one that Mom can't find the key to... Guess that means I will be calling Wesley sooner than later to make that appointment to have the lock drilled out!

Once I have completed these tasks for Mom, I will check Dad's accounts to make sure they are all in the Trust. My experience with Mom's accounts leads me to believe they only put some of their financial accounts in the Trust and forgot about the rest. Or maybe they thought only some of them were important to put in the Trust, the ones that were larger at the time, over 20 years ago. Or perhaps they forgot they had some of them, which seems to be the case with at least one of Dad's accounts where he had his Social Security check automatically deposited. After nearly 40 years of deposits with no withdrawals things add up!

Happy Birthday to Sarah and Alex! And Happy 1st Anniversary to Kathy and Matt!

No comments:

Post a Comment