Saturday, April 29, 2017

I Chose the Right Day to Plant

When I planted the strawberries yesterday I was hoping the weather forecast saying there would be showers yesterday was going to be accurate. It was. And today it rained for much of the day also. The gutter planter is far enough away that the rain draining off the roof misses it for the most part. The only exception is between the last 2 plants where a crease in the netting directs the water towards the gutter causing dirt to splash out of the planter. When it is no longer raining I will have to see if I can redirect the water away from the planter.
The rain comes down between the 2 plants on the right, washing soil out of the planter.

The rainy weather is also good for the volunteer papaya that I found in the compost pile a few days ago when I was mixing the green waste from the wreaths in with the dried leaves. I moved it to a planting area next to the compost bin. I hope it is a hermaphroditic plant since the other plants are about 100 feet away; I'm not sure if there are any other papaya plants nearby. There was another volunteer there, I think it might be some sort of squash. There was also a volunteer tomato growing in the compost pile but I pulled it out and composted it because none of the other volunteer tomatoes were any good.
Volunteer papaya in the center, possible squash near bottom of photo.

I worked on sorting out more of Mom & Dad's papers today. Dad has asked Curtis and me to take care of all the mail & bills for him. Mom, on the other hand, had still wanted to be in control of keeping track of all the bill paying and other finances; which made it very difficult for me since if she got a hold of some paperwork she would hide it from me. Fortunately, before the dementia got really bad, Mom had almost all the monthly bills put on auto-pay and all their retirement, VA benefits, and social security payments put on direct deposit; so for almost everything if she hid the bill from me there would be no dire consequence. I made a spreadsheet to track what day of the month payments and deposits are made and how much they are. I also included the short list of which annual payments can't be paid automatically; I think I've got it under control now.

Happy Birthday to Diana! Happy Kiss of Hope Day, Peace Rose Day, Shrimp Scampi Day, Zipper Day, Rebuilding Day, Sense of Smell Day, and Pool Opening Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment