Saturday, February 11, 2017

Lots of Rain Today

Last night a weather front came in from the northwest; I prepared for it before I went to bed. About midnight the wind started blowing, though not as hard as it did a couple weeks ago. Then at about 6 in the morning the rain was coming down so hard it woke me up. I went out to check that the lids on the bins were still closed so they wouldn't fill up with water. Everything was in place so I went back to sleep. Later in the morning it rained hard again. Over the next few hours it would come down in the proverbial buckets or just be raining normally. Although the rain finally slowed down in the early afternoon, Mom felt cold the entire day and into the evening.
Buckets of rain, note the stream of water flowing along the road side. Notice the hills in the background, oh, you don't see them?
Oh look, here are some hills on the left; about 4 hours after the upper photo. There are even more beyond those.

It was so wet I closed the sliding glass door because none of the cats were outside; they were all inside sleeping.
Shiro on a dining room chair.

Because I couldn't do much outdoors, I decided to reorganize my bedroom. I worked on the pile at the foot of the bed. The plan was to move the boxes, suitcase, & Mom's footlocker. After I moved everything out I vacuumed the floor. I don't think Mom has vacuumed this part of the floor for years, there were some very big dust bunnies!
Before.

I then moved the bed closer to the built-in desks so I could repair the left top edge of the box springs that is jammed in the frame. I vacuumed in the corner, too.
Bed moved up against the built-in desk.
Here's what the corner looked like.

Looking out from the corner.

It took a while to get the box spring loose from the frame. I had to take the frame apart so I lifted the box springs up on a board while I removed the screws attaching the frame to the headboard. I also found that the frame at the foot end had also spread apart. I tried tightening the plastic piece to hold the frame together but it is so old the threads are stripped. So I improvised since I did not want to search for bolts and nuts and washers.
The solution: A bungee cord! It works great!

I put the footlocker back, then rearranged the boxes that were on top of it. The boxes are empty ones for the Cat Genie, Wireless Whiskers, BEMER, & electronic pressure cooker. I'm keeping them to ship those things to Kohala when I move later. There are also 2 soft-sided & 1 hard sided cat carriers in the pile; I also have 2 hard-sided carriers in the cars ready to pick up Momo. My suitcase is also there and packed with the things to go back to Kohala.

While I was in the middle of the clean-up, I noticed that the rain had slowed down to a very light drizzle. I went out and planted the lettuce starts that I picked up a couple days ago. I also checked out the purple sweet potato starts that I planted a couple weeks ago.
Newly planted lettuce starts in back row, 1 new seedling in front row between 3rd & 4th start; 3 other spots newly reseeded.
Purple sweet potato.

I also worked on repositioning the photo of Sarah & Kaia. This time it looks good! Notice the hand prints on the wall below the photo. These are from Mom, she says she can walk in the house without her cane because she can use the walls for support. I keep telling her there are not enough walls in the house to cover all the places she has to walk through. Hence her fall and subsequent broken rib. I'm not sure it has sunk in yet, I still have to remind her to use her cane.


Dad was doing really good today, he said he had very little pain. He also walked out of the bedroom without any devices. I made him do 3 reps of his exercises, which went well.

Mom sometimes remembered how to do the incentive spirometer exercises. But sometimes not. She was feeling very tired today. I think she will need a transfusion next week.

Happy Birthday to Moni & David!

No comments:

Post a Comment