Sunday, February 26, 2017

Transfusion #23

When Curtis talked with Dr. Kamai today, he was told that Mom was low on platelets again. Dr. Kamai ordered another platelet transfusion, she already had one on Tuesday. And in the evening on Friday they gave her 2 units of packed red blood cells (transfusion #22). This evening they did the platelet transfusion. When the platelets were done, they did a vancomysin drip for 4 hours.
Platelet transfusion. They will start the vancomycin drip when the platelets are done.

Mom gets zosyn 4 times a day and vancomysin once a day. Like other antibiotics, she has to take them for 7 days. Mom was admitted to the hospital on Monday, however the antibiotics weren't started until the early evening. So it is most likely that she will have to stay until Tuesday.
Zosyn drip.

One of the big problems we have had is trying to get Mom to stop scratching; she can't understand what her scratching is doing to her skin. This started in November, her skin was very dry so it was itching all over. Her scratching damaged her skin so badly that even after we started using moisturizing lotion twice a day the healing process caused some of its own itching. We have not been completely successful in stopping her from using all kinds of things to scratch her back. It looks much better now than it did a few days ago when it had a checkered look like alligator skin and was falling off in large flakes like after a bad sunburn. Being in the hospital has eliminated the things she uses to scratch it.
Peeling skin on Mom's back.

When I went to wake Dad up for breakfast this morning, I found that Xander had slept with Dad last night. In fact, he apparently forced Dad to sleep on the other side of the bed.


Sunday is the day I go through the house and empty all the rubbish cans and take the recyclables out to the recycle bin. Today I took all the old phone books that were in the guest bedroom to the recycle bin. Now I hope the bin is not too heavy for me to wheel out to the road on Thursday for pick up! The oldest book was 2005; I don't think we need that one any more.
There are 14 books here, another 3 were in the room I am in. I also threw out the old powerhead for the broken Shark.

When I arrived at Kaiser Moanalua, I looked for Momo's twin again; he wasn't there. Only one of the white cats with black patches was there.


As I was sitting in Mom's room, working on the blog, I saw another cat walking by. I was able to get a very good look at this one. It also is white with black patches but on its right side it only has a small sort of oval spot, some on its hindquarters and tail, and a 'bonnet' that does not cover its eyes. On its left side it has a patch a little larger than the one seen here but a little farther back on its body along with a small round spot on its hip and one on its knee. It has no black on its back.


Both of these cats are different than the first cat I saw in December. The first cat had a lot more black on its back. There are now 5 different cats that I have seen at the Kaiser Moanalua facility. I will have to check with Kim & Rowena at the ATC and find out if any of these are the cats that they feed.
December 21, 2016, photo.

I talked to Curtis more about the location of the cat he was looking for last night. Isaac said he was driving on 12th Avenue between Maunaloa and Kaimuki avenues when he saw an orange cat cross the street; he called as soon as he got home. Curtis went and looked over a several block area but did not see any cats; he saw a lot of people walking their dogs. I told him it might have been Lefty, who lives between Maunaloa and Kaimuki about 3 blocks from there. I met Lefty and his humans in January when I was handing out fliers about Momo.

For dinner, Mom only ate a few mouthfuls of miso soup, gelatin, and green tea; she said she doesn't get hungry because she only sleeps all day. I went to the Sunrise Cafe and tried their teriyaki meat loaf; it was pretty good.
Teriyaki meatloaf with mixed vegetables. You can ask for vegetables to replace the carbs that would normally be served with the meal.

Happy Birthday to Leah & Glenda! Happy Pistachio Day and Happy Tell a Fairy Tale Dayt! Get ready to celebrate Kahlua Day, Polar Bear Day, and Strawberry Day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment