Monday, September 18, 2017

Wheels for Wildlife

As I was cleaning up this morning I got a text from Sam, the wildlife rehabilitation manager at the Hawai'i Wildlife Center. They needed a Wheels for Wildlife volunteer to transport a Bulwer's Petrel, aka 'ou, to the airport. The timing was perfect, I grabbed a snack & coconut water & took off for Feather & Fur Animal Hospital to pick up the bird. Then it was off to the ag inspection office at the airport & Hawaiian Air Cargo. I was back home just in time to get Dad's lunch started. I hope the 'ou gets better, it was not too perky when I dropped it off at the cargo hangar.
Here's the Bulwer's petrel (Bulweria bulwerii), it is apparently a male.
My snack to keep fueled up for wildlife transporting.

Tomorrow Sam, the wildlife rehab manager at HWC, moves to Idaho. Her boyfriend has a job there; she will be doing contract wildlife rehab work. But she will be back in November for the O'ahu Seabird Aid (OSA) Program; she will be staying here with Dad & me. Safe travels, Sam!

Recently my morning walk has been going around Kapaolono Park. Today I took a slightly different route and walked along the edge of the play field. It is about 0.02 mile & 30 seconds shorter than going around the outside on the sidewalk. I'm trying to increase my time to 30 minutes, tomorrow I'll do a lap around the playfield to see how long it takes, then calculate how many laps I need to do to get up to 30 minutes. I think it will be a lot easier walking at the park than trying to find a walking route through the neighborhood. It also has a shelter and a bathroom.

Happy Birthday to Aurolyn!

No comments:

Post a Comment