Friday, December 24, 2021

Earthquake Hazards

There was a really cool study that was just released about the earthquake hazards here in Hawaiʻi. In the figures below from the study you will notice that the entire island of Hawaiʻi is red which means in the next 100 years there is a 90% chance that an earthquake large enough to cause damage will occur. I think the last one that caused damage was in 2006; so yeah, it is highly likely that another will happen. (We had only very minor damage in Kohala.)


And coincidentally there was an earthquake very early this morning. At 1:32 this morning, the magnitude 4.9 earthquake occurred about 7.5 miles deep. It was centered under Kamaʻehuakanaloa volcano which is located about 26 miles southeast of Nāʻālehu on the ocean floor. Kamaʻehuakanaloa volcano is also known as the Lōʻihi seamount. (From my ʻŌlelo Hawaiʻi lessons I know that lōʻihi means tall.)


I remembered to weigh myself this morning. I am 127.8 pounds, which is the same as I was last week; Iʻll take it! Especially because I have eaten out more this week than usual; I had lunch with Anne & Mike on Sunday, lunch with Sally & her family on Monday, and dinner & dessert with Sally & her family on Wednesday. Perhaps that is why my percent body fat increased by 1.3%? It is more likely that I was more dehydrated this morning when I weighed myself than when I did it last week. FYI I weigh myself in the morning before I drink or eat anything.


Another plain proothie for me this morning. I think I will get some other extracts, like peppermint, to add to my proothies. That would give it a festive taste!


I mailed off a bunch of holiday packages around lunch time. There were 14 of them; there would have been 15 but Janice said don't waste money sending hers. She'll pick it up when she gets here in a couple of weeks. Most of the packages I mailed will reach their destination by December 30th. The last will be there on the 31st; I'm not sure why because it is just on the other side of the freeway from Kai & he is getting his on the 30th. And the ones I am sending to the East Coast are also getting there on the 30th! Auē!


After I returned from the post office, Lois dropped by. She gave us a loaf of fruitcake that she had made. Later I had a piece of it after dinner. I would eat this again!


For dinner I had the Sweet Earth Cauliflower Mac; I should have read the packaging better when I bought it. I though the cauliflower was replacing the pasta like a cauliflower crust pizza replaces the flour in the pizza. It did not. But no matter, I am not buying another anyway; it was rather tasteless!

Just out of the box & still frozen.
After heating in the microwave.

Hawaiʻi Volcanoes National Park now has a way for you to do a virtual tour called Holoholo for the Holidays! You start by downloading the NPS app, search for Hawaiʻi Volcanoes National Park, click on Holoholo for the Holidays, & follow the directions. 


Kīlauea is still erupting! And the U.S. Geological Survey added another camera! It points directly at the west vent spatter cone so is like having a close-up of the most active part of the volcano. The have als started an experimental animated gif. If you decide to check it out, scroll down to the 2nd image on the page to see the animation; I could not figure out how to post the actual animation to the blog.

At 6:12 a.m.
At 6:31 p.m.
At 6:12 a.m.
At 6:31 p.m.
At 6:12 a.m.
At 6:31 p.m.

There is still snow on Mauna Kea; albeit old snow. It did not look like there was any new snow that fell today.

I wonder if that was the night shift?
No one there.
Still no one.
The evening shift comes in.

The Aix weather app forecast rain in Honolulu through the mid-afternoon then a break until the evening; we ended up having rain through the early morning then partly cloudy skies until the early evening when we had a couple of ligth drizzles. For Kapaʻau, Aix forecast rain all day; Big Island Now forecast mostly cloudy with showers likely & a 70% chance of rain. The Honomū weather station recorded 0.02 inches by 6:11 a.m. but nothing after that. For Marysville, Aix forecast rain all day becoming much heavier right around dark. The traffic cams showed mainly cloudy skies in the morning & evidence of wet roadways in the evening.

Kaimukī looking northerly at 6:02 a.m.
Waikīkī looking easterly at 6:51 a.m.
Kaimukī looking westerly at 6:53 a.m.
Honomū looking northerly at 6:53 a.m.
Marysville looking northerly at 6:56 a.m. HST.
Kaimukī looking northerly at 1:23 a.m.
Kaimukī looking westerly at 1:26 p.m.
Waikīkī looking easterly at 4:24 p.m.
Honomū looking northerly at 4:29 p.m.
Marysville looking southerly at 4:30 p.m.
Ligth drizzle in Kaimukī looking easterly at 5:32 p.m.

The biggest surf was along north & east facing shorelines. Its so big there is a High Surf Advisory for east facing shorelines & Bayfront Drive in Hilo is closed until the high surf conditions subside.

Laniakea (N) at 6:52 a.m.
Hilo Bay (E) at 6:54 a.m.
Waikīkī (S) at 6:50 a.m.
Banyans (W) at 6:57 a.m.
Laniakea (N) at 4:28 p.m.
Hilo Bay (E) at 4:10 p.m.
Waikīkī (S) at 4:25 p.m.
Banyans (W) at 4:28 p.m.

There were 1828 new cases of COVID-19 reported today, bringing the total known cases up to 98,593; this is a new record of cases in a single day & does not include any backlogged cases like the last record. /there was aslo 1 new death reported, increasing the death toll to 1078; currently there are 9433 cases that are considered active. As of today, there have been 2,505,606 doses of vaccine administered, providing 73.9% of the State population with full vaccination & 79.3% with at least 1 dose. There are 73 cases that are currently hospitalized with 12 in the ICU & 8 on ventilators. The 7-day new case average for the State is 1021 with a positivity rate of 9.0 %. The 7-day new case average for Oʻahu is 914 with a positivity rate of 11.3%. 


Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Vernon! One year ago I got my 1st COVID-19 vaccination. I feel we have made amazing progress in finding out more about how SARS-CoV-2 infects humans & how to treat COVID-19. We need to increase our efforts to make vaccinations available to every person in the world who wants one, we need to educate those who do not believe COVID-19 is real & that the vaccines are more harmful than the disease, & make medications that treat the disease more readily available to all world-wide. If the spread of the virus is not controlled in other parts of the world it will continue to have a reservoir where it can mutate unchecked. (A virus can still mutate in a vaccinated person but it does not have as much time to make a whole lot of changes so the result will generally not be a problem.)

No comments:

Post a Comment