Saturday, June 25, 2016

Aloha Oe to Misty and Ava

I picked Misty and Ava up this morning and took them on a lei shopping trip. We went to the lei shop that Mom always goes to and I had them pick out the lei that they wanted. Misty wanted something fragrant and chose a lei made of tuberose and rose. Ava wanted something pink and chose a lei made from orchids. (In Hawai'ian, a noun is pluralized by adding the word na, as in na lei; thus you will see lei used as both singular and plural in Hawai'ian written or spoken word.)
The refrigerated case behind Ava and Misty holds all different kinds of lei

Then it was off to the airport! I found out Misty and Ava had stayed at the beach the previous evening until dark. Here's a couple photos of what they were doing.
Aloha from Ava! (photo by Misty)
Mahalo from Ava! (photo by Misty)

On the way back I stopped at Hawaiian Pie Co. to pick up dessert for the dinner at Curt and Lori's tonight. I chose Hawaiian Mango for dinner tonight and Caramel Apple for Mom at a later date. And I got 2 cinnamon rolls for breakfast tomorrow morning.


I also stopped in at the Neko Cafe event. Sort of. I stopped, parked, then walked around to find the event which was in one of the small stores in the Ward Warehouse mall. I found it, but decided not to stick around. The line was at least 100 people long. It appeared that they were metering the people in, a wise decision since there were a bunch of kittens running around the store. (Even though I had them in an insulated carrier, the pies would have defrosted by the time I got in the door!)

While at Ward Warehouse I spotted another view of Leahi. That's Ala Moana Boulevard in the lower right.


Here's something else I spotted. A sign of the times in a multicultural society!


Since Mom's dementia manifested itself, cooking has not been an option for Mom. She can't remember what goes in a dish or has trouble following a recipe or has trouble remembering to turn off the stove or oven. I thought a microwave and rice cooker would be safe for her to use. NOT! Last night, even though I said I was bringing a pizza home for dinner, Mom cooked a full pot of rice. Five cups, we ate none of it. I went to put it in the fridge and could not get the pot out of the cooker. There was a slight gap, that I had never noticed before, that I could just barely get my fingertips into but I still couldn't get it to budge. Later in the night I had a hunch so I tested it after I got back from the airport and IT WORKED! I turned the rice cooker on for about 30 seconds until the bottom heated up and I pulled and it came out easily! What was going on? It turns out a plastic lid had fallen in to the heating unit, it melted, then hardened when the cooking was done, cementing the pot to the unit. Heating softened it up and unstuck it. A rice cooker bites the dust, I can't get most of the plastic out since it oozed around the edges of the heating element.









Happy Birthday to Susan and Ellen!

No comments:

Post a Comment