Wednesday, June 15, 2022

No Photos For a Couple Days

My phone died this morning. Or maybe it was last night. All I know is I tried to turn it on when I got up this morning & it was totally dark. It acted like it was trying to do something because when I plugged it in to charge, it would warm up.

So I made a special trip to Kona today; that's where the closest Verizon store is. I know that you can change the battery on an S7 but it takes special equipment so it is not a do-it-your-self item. So I walked in & asked if they could change the battery; they could not, they don't have a repair section. They sent me to Kona Cell Phone Repair. I had to ask for directions since I had no phone to Google with. 

Chalene at Kona Cell Phone Repair had a battery & said it would take about 45 minutes to swap the battery out. I asked for lunch suggestions & she referred me to Ola Brewery across the street; she recommended their flatbread pizzas. May be I ordered something different than she does; I was not impressed with the food. 

On the way back, I was a little early, so I visited the Paradise Mexican Store which is in the same mini-mall as Kona Cell Phone Repair. It was packed to the ceiling with Mexican goods. I wish I had my phone to take a photo of the jar of huitlacoche to send to Kai! I bought a few things that we had when we were in Mexico visiting for an Aikido seminar & when we were hosting 2 women from Mexico who were in the US to learn English through an English language immersion program. But Paradise was all out of my favorite Jarritos soda, the tamarind flavored one. I will have to stop by the next time I am in Kona; Ivan said they have been there for a few years now.

The problem with my phone turned out not to be the battery. Chalene showed me how it would act like it was going to turn on but then the screen would go black & there would be nothing; although it would heat up. I returned to Verizon & checked to see if the insurance I bought a couple years ago was still valid. It is! So now Verizon is sending me an S10e for $0; it should arrive in a couple of days. (Normally it is a 24 hour delivery, but Will, the manager at Verizon, said it might take 2 days to get up to Kapa'au.)

While in Kona I also went to Petco to get more kitten food. On the day I was returning from my trip to visit Kai, cousin Bill called. He wanted to know if I had enough cat food since there was none in North Kohala & the shelves at Costco in Kona were also bare. He was going to give me some of theirs until I could find more. But I still had 1 bag so it was good. However, now that I am also feeding the kittens I was noticing I was running out of food faster! Fortunately Petco had both the Ultra all-stages grain-free catfood I got for the pregnant moms & their kittens, as well as another grain-free one for active adult cats. These should hold me for a while.

I also picked up a small cat bed to put out on the porch under the bench. And Da Bird cat toy; I have it attached to the railing so the kittens have something more to play with while they are waiting for their moms.

I also stopped at Island Naturals to grind my own peanut butter. But their machine was broken! Auē! I'll have to check on my next trip through Kona.

When I got back to Hāwī, I stopped to pick up my CSA bag. This week we got bok choy, kale, cilantro, basil, carrots (but no tops), eggplant, maiʻa (banana), ʻuala (sweet potato), a cucumber, an orange, & a lime. I am looking forward to having greens in my proothies again!

It rained again this evening. So I did not get to work on piglet-proofing the fence more. I have all of the south fence blocked in some manner; about 75 feet has chicken wire attached. The rest is white plastic screening material. I still need to do the front (west) portion of the fence, which is about another 75 feet. I checked & I must have scared the piglets away last night when I turned on the lights; there were still a lot of uneaten mountain apples on the ground under the tree. Since I can't get out there tonight, I hope it is that way tomorrow also.

Hau'oli lā Hānau e Sherry & Christina! Six years ago today is when I moved back to Hawaiʻi. Sadly it is also the day Momo got out of the house & was never seen again. None of the cats made it here to Hawaiʻi Island, but I don't think I will have a lack of cats here ...

No comments:

Post a Comment