Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Breakfast at Cafe Kaila

This morning Curtis and I went to Cafe Kaila, which is about 5 minutes from home. He described it as a little yuppie; correct. He also said that busloads of Japanese tourists come in about 8 am; correct. And finally he said it was in their Top 10 breakfast places, correct again! Curt had the Granola Parfait; I had the Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict special. Although I was expecting Native American-style smoked salmon but got lox-style smoked salmon instead, my benedict was excellent.
L Granola Parfait; R Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict.

Besides the great food, we also got to see some great art. Our server Grant had some great tattoos and was willing to let me take a photo. It was the squid and hammerhead shark that got my attention.


This post is being brought to you by my new hot spot! I went to Verizon after breakfast to add texting to my service. I'm a little slow in adopting new technology (and also very hard on portable technology). I got an answering machine & a pager in 1991, only because I had a new job and needed to be accessible since I was doing code enforcement. However, I resisted getting a cell phone until 2001 when I began doing a lot of volunteer advocacy work; it was a simple stick phone. I kept it until the "4" key stopped working; I replaced it with an LG. When that one started acting up, because I had so many numbers in my phone I had to upgrade to a Palm Treo on August 29, 2007. (The date is on the phone, which I still have.) Once I discovered I could put all the data in my Sharp Zaurus personal digital assistant & my appointments on the Treo, I stopped using my Day-Timer. (What happened to the Zaurus is another story.) When the Treo started having problems, I got an HTC Droid Incredible. I used the Incredible until the battery stopped holding a charge. It was replaced by my current Samsung Galaxy S5. But I got it without texting because I didn't text and neither did Kai. But here in Hawai'i Curtis & Lori & I are texting all the time to keep up with what was happening with Mom, and now with Dad. So I have been going over the number of texts that would equal the monthly fee, but not any more.

As I was getting ready to leave the Verizon kiosk, Chay (the Verizon guy) asked if I might be interested in a mobile hot spot since they were on sale. And I was! There is no internet at the Kohala house, so every time I visited I would go to the Kohala Coffee Mill to use their free wi-fi. I briefly checked in to Internet service in the area but at $20 per month for the hot spot service, I don't think I can do any better than that. And I already had unlimited data so that didn't change. (May be in another post I will tell you when I got rid of dial-up Internet service!) Chay also had a great tattoo!

Another strawberry is beginning to ripen! It was mainly white this morning, but by the afternoon it was a rosy pink. I'm sure it will be juicy and delicious after I leave, but before Dad and Curt go to Las Vegas.

I stopped by Don Quijote today and picked up another bottle of the garlic ponzu. I'm really looking forward to trying it.
 

Happy Birthday to Angie and Ruby! Happy Lucky Penny Day, and Taffy Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment