Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Dad Meets the OT

Clyde the Occupational Therapist came by today. Clyde spent about 15 minutes with Dad, checking how he got out of bed, asking Dad to show him which bathroom he used, asking about which shower he used, and a few other things. Clyde spent about 45 minutes with me. We talked about my concerns about Dad, things I needed help with, and insights I had. Clyde was very helpful. One of the best pieces of advice was that when we change the carpet in the living room and hallway we should put in a hard surface, no carpet. Which will make cleaning and pushing the wheelchair much easier. Clyde said we should also have Dr. Nakano officially test Dad for dementia.
Clyde & Dad.

One of the problems we have been having with Dad is getting him to take a shower. He used to shower every evening just before dinner. Now he hasn't showered for at least a month before Mom died. So one of the things Curtis and I are planning on doing is using Dude Shower body wipes on Dad. I originally saw these on the Internet, so I don't know much about them but this sounds good. I picked these up at Walgreens; they were cheaper than online, I think because it was a "New Item". (Clyde thinks Dude body wipes are a great solution; he said it appeared Dad was very resistant to taking a shower.) The first product the dudes made was Dude Wipes, apparently they are butt wipes that are 25% larger than other butt wipes.

A few weeks ago I bought a gallon of Pine-Sol since I wasn't able to find any in the house. Or at least I couldn't find it in the places that I was thinking I should find it. So I cleaned without it until I got some. Then today I found 2 bottles of pine-sol. Although Mom was always cleaning the toilets (at 7 in the morning), it appears that she was also cleaning without the pine-sol. The first one I found had crystals of pine-sol all over the inside of the bottle; the second had a bunch of crystallized pine-sol in the bottom.


Xander was sleeping peacefully on the chair this afternoon. Then Shiro decided he wanted to sleep in the chair, too. But its too hot here to cuddle up, so Xander left.


Happy Belated Birthday to John! Happy Lipid Day, Shrimp Day, Clean Up Your Room Day, Bike to School Day, School Nurse Day, Receptionists' Day, and Third Shift Workers Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment