Thursday, May 11, 2017

Yay! More Sunlight!

Today I was able to check out the amount of direct sunlight that the strawberries are able to get now that I have moved them. Moving them up about 3 inches has gotten them another hour of direct sunlight. Their leaves are still below the top of the wall so they will have some shelter from the wind. This is a good compromise, more sun but still some shelter from the wind.
Strawberries at 5:30 pm.

One month ago I planted the papayas in the back garden area. I also set up a sprinkler so that they could be easily watered every day. And I got a timer so they wouldn't be overwatered. Even though a lot of the information I found on the Internet said they don't like being transplanted, it looks like they are doing okay.
April 13th.
Today. The weeds also like the daily watering.

When I installed the timer I discovered that the faucet leaks at the handle; so I can't leave it on all the time or the back patio is full of puddles. Which means that I needed to turn it on just before the timer switches on, then turn it off after the timer is done. I soon discovered 2 other outdoor faucets also leak at the handle. Then I found I could not get the lid off the box to turn off the water to the house so that I could fix the handles. So I called the plumber. He was supposed to come today sometime between noon and 3 p.m. to fix the leaky faucets. But at 2:30 the office called and said the previous job was taking a lot longer than anticipated so he would be here later. At 4 the office called back to reschedule to tomorrow between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m; I'm the first one for that time slot.

I spent much of today combining all my lists of things I need to do to update Mom and Dad's accounts in to one large spreadsheet. I started with the life insurance policies; ones for Mom need claim forms filled out, ones for Dad need the beneficiary designation changed. The car, homeowners, and other policies need to have Mom removed. Bank and credit union accounts also need to be updated. Same for credit cards and memberships. And I am finding there is a lot more. So far there are 38 items on the list, of which 6 have been completed; 16 need a death certificate, Hosoi says the corrected one should be ready by Monday. I need to check Mom's purse and see if there is anything that I have missed.

Yesterday I wrote about Dad and Clyde the OT. I forgot to mention that Clyde said Dad was in really good shape for being 92. I had noticed that the ages of people listed in the obituary pages was really high; for example, yesterday the average age of the 17 people listed was 81, ranging from 24 to 97. (On the day Mom's obituary ran there were 3 people who were over 100.) According to Wikipedia, Hawaii is the state with the highest life expectancy at 81.3. According to the WHO, the life expectancy in the US in 2015 was 79.3, with women at 81.6 and men at 76.9. Dad's plan will help raise the life expectancy, he plans on living to 100.

Happy Birthday to Kathleen, Esther, & Alan! Happy Foam Rolling Day, Twilight Zone Day, and Eat What You Want Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment