Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Final Leg Back to Honolulu

Kai & James showed up again this morning; they were working on the persimmon when I left the house. Kai will bring the height down to about roof level and remove anything hanging over the roof since I will be installing solar panels. He will train it to grow to the east where the panax hedge was previously blocking its path and the sunlight; there were a couple of funny looking branches on that side.
Before
During
Branches on easterly side of persimmon deformed by panax hedge..
The view from the sewing room of the persimmon & some of the invasive trees that will be removed.

The last thing I did before I walked out of the house was pour a box of Rid-X down the toilet and flush twice, per directions. The houses in this area were installed with cesspools rather than septic systems; I've been told that Grandpa built his cesspool twice as large as was required for this size house. I think its good insurance to add a $10 box of Rid-X at the end of each visit; usually you treat the system once a month. It's much cheaper than having to have the whole system cleaned out or having to build a new one.


I dropped off all my leftovers with Jessie; that's what I usually do. I also gave her one of the hands of green bananas; there were 5. I also left her a list of when Aikane and Chris are going to be doing work and when visitors would be arriving in July. She does a good job keeping an eye on the house.

I then made a trip to the Ka'auhuhu Transfer station which is on the way to Waimea; there is no garbage pick-up in Kohala. Its basically self-serve; you drive up, wait in line if there is one, back in, and unload your vehicle yourself. Most of the time. I have seen the attendant help the kupuna who come to drop off their garbage.

The drive to Waimea was beautiful, it was a clear, sunny day. There were a lot of tourists at the scenic viewpoints taking photos. I made it to Waimea in about 30 minutes; I was early for lunch with Leilani so I went to get information on the Keck Observatory and Anna Ranch. I met Leilani and her daughter Candace at the Parker Ranch Center Food Court. Leilani was looking good and she sounds like she is slowly adjusting to Kevin's passing last year. I know Leilani's other children Shirleen and Dalen, but this is the 1st time I had met Candace who is the youngest. I think I was already up in Seattle at the University of Washington when Candace was born. I hope to see both of them again at Obon.
L to R: Leilani & Candace.

Here are the hills of Waimea as seen from the Parker Ranch Center parking lot. Waimea is paniolo country and the Parker Ranch Store had some beautiful books about the ranch and the paniolo culture. Unfortunately they were hardcover and my suitcase was already filled. I'll have to go back another time and look at the books before I pack.


On the drive to fill up the rental car before I returned it to the airport I saw a bunch of goats playing along the roadside. Unfortunately I wasn't stopped near them in the traffic jam so I wasn't able to get any good photos. But I did get a photo of the Alamo rooster. I'm not sure if this is the same one I see all the time on the front lawn or if there are several but they take turns sitting out on the lawn.


I arrived at the gate 2&1/2 hours before my plane was scheduled to leave, a record for me! Two other flights left from the same gate before mine did. They turn those planes around pretty fast at KOA!

Apparently Curtis had some interesting moments with Dad. Especially with the showering; he used the Dude Shower Wipes on Dad once and that went over well. Tomorrow Curtis will be coming by special to give Dad a bath. He said I helped Mom with her showers, so he'll help Dad with his. On the ride back from the airport Curtis said Dad was beginning to look like Howard Hughes, with unkempt hair and beard and long fingernails; and he did! Well, an Asian Howard Hughes. We'll have to see how well he cleans up for Uncle Roy's memorial next Tuesday; he cleaned himself up to go to Mom's memorial.

Happy Birthday to Kit & Karin!

No comments:

Post a Comment