Thursday, June 29, 2017

Rats!

Two people from Terminex came by today; it was expected. On Tuesday I got a call about Aaron coming to do the quarterly termite inspection in the morning; I asked if he could also inspect for rats. I was told I would need someone else to do that; it turns out Mom only had a contract for termites and other insects, not pests (which would have covered rats). So Travis came to inspect for rats, develop a rat exclusion plan, and determine what else the contract should include. He showed me where rats are most likely entering the house between the loose metal roof tiles. He also saw rat droppings and places the rats were gnawing on in the attic. He wrote up the contract and explained what it would cover. Rat clean-up & exclusion day is now scheduled for July 12th; the cats will have to stay out in the cat run that day.
Travis' diagram of rat signs in the attic

One of the side effects of Travis' visit was that Dad needed to sign the contract. Terminex uses a tablet and you sign with your finger. Specifically, with the fleshy part of your finger. Which meant that Dad was unable to do the signing without cutting the fingernail of his right index finger. We have been trying unsuccessfully to cut Dad's nails for a while now. He wouldn't let me cut the rest of them, but later he cut one of his other fingernails; it would be great if he would cut even one each day! He's getting to look like an Asian Howard Hughes with his long fingernails and beard. It's interesting how the dementia is affecting Dad's personal hygiene differently than it did Mom.


I walked by the 2 houses being demolished again today. There was no activity at House #1 today; I think they must be done with collecting all the debris. House #2 is now completely taken down and it appears that all the debris is also gone. House #2 was smaller than House #1.
House #1. Without the house there it looks like you get a nice view of the city.
House #2. The temporary power pole can be seen in the center of the photo.

I also noticed that people are borrowing books from the Little Free Library. Or at least, I hope that's why I'm seeing less books there. I wonder how frequently the steward checks on it?
June 18th.
June 29th. Looks like someone's taken Love, Groucho, but no one's interested in Stephen King's The Long Walk.

Happy Birthday to Amanda!

No comments:

Post a Comment