Friday, June 2, 2017

Oh, Oh, Water!


There's that saying, "Be careful what you wish for." After I washed my face this morning I found a puddle of water under the bathroom sink! Another request to add for the plumber besides replacement of the house regulator. Hope I don't find even more problems.

Here's where the leak is, at the top of the green part, just to the right.

A positive thing that I found this morning was that there is a pair of wild turkeys that come to Jessie's back yard early in the morning. Uncle Kazu says there are a bunch of them around.


I went to CSC Cafe for breakfast again. I think they are 1 of only 2 breakfast places in Kohala. I tried the Belgian Breakfast Muffin. It wasn't really a muffin and with syrup it becomes very messy to eat as a breakfast type sandwich. Don't think I'm going to order this one again.


Like yesterday, this morning was also very productive. I turned in my temporary mail forwarding request. It turns out you can have mail temporarily forwarded for 3 to 30 days; I am having mine forwarded for about 3 weeks, which is how long it will be before I return for Obon. I think I will have all the mail for July delivered to the P. O. box. But after July I might have it forwarded for 30 days or so; I'll have to see when Vivian, Margaret, & Jess will be visiting and schedule it according to their time here.

I stopped in at the Kohala Welcome Center, which is also the home of the North Kohala Community Resource Center (NKCRC); I met Christine the Executive Director. I was donating $10/month to the KNKR community radio station via NKCRC; I let it lapse when the debit card expired since I had also retired. I wanted to see whether I could still manage all my donations while on a smaller budget. It turns out I can, so I wanted to restart my monthly donation. But I wanted to do it directly out of my account so I wouldn't have to deal with an expiring debit card every few years; Christine gave me the routing and account information for their bank. Unfortunately I can't do that, their financial institution and my financial institution apparently can't play nice together. Oh well, I'll have to keep remembering which donations I put on which debit card. I also bought a few books and a CD there; they have a lot more I was interested in but I thought I would start with these.
The LINK booklet is a great resource for the area, but it was researched in 2011, so I'll have to check around & update it. I know some things, like Fig's, are no longer there. I'll also be checking for wheelchair access for Uncle Kazu.

I also made a stop at Aikane Nursery to drop off the deposit to get the tree retraining work started. While there I wandered through their plant holding area and found some plants I would like to have established once I am permanently here.

Then I went to get Uncle Kazu to take him to lunch for his birthday. Today he's 92 years old! We went to Minnie's Ohana Lim StyleCafe. Owner Charmaine & one of her waitresses know Uncle Kazu. Charmaine asked one of the customers if they could move their car so we could park by the sidewalk so Uncle Kazu could easily wheel himself up to their outdoor seating area. We both had their ahi special; it looked like a pound of fish! Later Charmaine treated us to ice cream for Uncle Kazu's birthday; I think they serve Roselani Ice Cream. Onolicious!


Uncle Kazu wouldn't open his present in front of me, which is very old-style Japanese, so I don't know if the shorts fit him or if he likes the design on the t-shirt. But I did notice that he was wearing an aloha shirt today rather than a t-shirt; so I'll look for some of those for future presents.

After lunch we drove to Mahukona to watch the snorkelers and the water. Then we went to Kawaihae and came back through the Kohala Mountain Road (click through the photos in the link). Uncle Kazu was telling me about some of the things that used to be in various places; much has changed since he could get around by himself. I think he liked the drive; unlike Mom he is not saddened by change, he seems to prefer change. In some places the clouds were so close they were touching the treetops. The ones at home were close, though the photo doesn't look like it.


I think it was the combination of lots of driving and ice cream that put me to sleep shortly after I got back. I slept until dinner! But didn't feel hungry so I just took a shower and went back to bed.

Happy Birthday also to Patricia, Janet, Ken, Marla, & Fatima!

No comments:

Post a Comment