Thursday, June 1, 2017

Oh, Oh, No Water

When I got in last night I was hot & sweaty from sitting in the plane, walking through the open air airport, and hauling my suitcase around. I really wanted a shower but found there was no water! Darn! Guess I should have warned Chris that I was coming in last night so he could get everything back on; although I didn't think he was doing any punchlist items that needed the water turned off.

This morning Chris replied to my late night e-mail, he said he didn't turn the water off. He told me where the house shut-off was, but that wasn't it either; it was on. I walked out to the main shut-off by the road and didn't see any soggy spots, the lid was on securely. I called the Hawaii Island Board of Water Supply main office in Hilo; they said everything looked okay on their end but they sent me to the Waimea office to see if there was any local work that might be affecting my water. There wasn't, so they sent a guy out. I gave them my cell number but he never called. Fortunately Jessie saw him; he said it was the house side regulator and he wasn't sure how much longer it might continue to work. Auwe! I e-mailed Chris to get the name of the plumber he has been working with.

I had breakfast at CSC Cafe but forgot to take a photo. Since I will be having breakfast there every morning I'll be able to take photos of future breakfasts.

I have an account at the Hawaii Community Federal Credit Union. But during the move I packed the checks away so well I have not been able to find them, so I went in today to get more printed and also get some counter checks to use while they are being printed. The parking is a bit cramped since they share the building (and the parking lot) with the post office. The lot is on a slope, the backside of the lot looks over the slope; better make sure you know which direction you are going in when you leave!
Looking out the windshield from the parking stall at the credit union.

While I was passing under the house to go out to the anthurium garden to cut flowers to take to the cemetery I saw a pair of francolins walking down the driveway eating seeds. I was on the opposite side of the house when I first saw them. I waited until they were behind the gas tank to move as close to them as possible. When they came out the other side I got a fairly good photo of them without spooking them.


I will be dropping by Aikane Nursery tomorrow to make a deposit to get the work started on cleaning up the backyard. I am having them remove the old, hazardous avocado tree that has a rotted center, top some of the other trees and train them to grow more laterally so the fruit are easier to harvest, and remove the panax hedge. They are also going to thin out the bananas and put up a fence along the back to keep the wild pigs out. More photos will follow after they are done.
The avocado tree is in the center back of the photo.

I talked with Sam this afternoon about cleaning up the garage. He has a large trailer and charges $75 per trailer load. He is checking to see if he can come on Monday to clean out the garage.


After Sam left I went to the cemetery and to see Uncle Kazu. We're on for lunch tomorrow at noon for his birthday!

On the way back I stopped at The Kohala Club Hotel to check it out for visitors who will be coming for Mom's hatsubon. Although it is for sale, the current owner is still booking rooms while she waits for offers.

For dinner (and lunches by myself) I decided to do peanut butter & jelly sandwiches. They're fast, easy, and I like them! Here's the dinner PB&J with sour cream & onion potato chips and tako poke. The tako poke was not that good, it looked like it would have more flavor but it didn't.


No comments:

Post a Comment