Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Good Bye, Uncle Roy!

Today was Uncle Roy's memorial. It was a very nice service; I learned much about Uncle Roy that I had not known before. And BJ shared some insights in to Uncle Roy's last few days. This was also the 3rd time in 8 months that the cousins on Dad's side have gotten together because of the passing of a family elder. Dad is now the last remaining elder in the family. On Dad's side we are among the younger cousins; Chad is the youngest, Curtis is the 2nd youngest. On Mom's side I am the oldest cousin, Curt is the 4th oldest.


Dad didn't go to the service. When I first woke him him up for breakfast, Dad sounded like he was going to get cleaned up and go to Uncle Roy's memorial. But 20 minutes later he had fallen asleep again, now he wasn't feeling like going. So I called Curt to let him know he didn't need to come and help Dad with a shower. Mona, BJ, & Chad understood very well about Dad's behavior; they sent us home with food for Dad and some of Uncle Roy's favorite chocolate peanutbutter and s'mores cupcakes!

Early this morning I pruned back the runners on the strawberries. The Seascape strawberries. The ones that aren't supposed to have runners. From 8 plants I removed 22 runners! No runners. NOT!


Happy Birthday to Sally & Dante! Happy 35th Anniversary to Patricia & Marvin!

1 comment:

  1. My father was the last of the previous generation in our extended family that raised us before he passed. I remember asking my brother, after realizing Dad was the last one standing, "Are you ready to become a family elder?"

    Neither one of us were prepared for that change in identity, LOL. In fact, the joke I make is "I'm still listening to my Beatles records backwards trying to figure out if Paul is dead (among other juvenile pursuits).

    It's probably beneficial to think about that change in advance, perhaps.

    ReplyDelete