Monday, June 19, 2017

Happy Father's Day & Juneteenth

Today is Juneteenth, which is basically a celebration that came about due to slavery. While the Emancipation Proclamation was issued in 1862 and went in to effect on January 1st, 1863, Texas was not affected since it was not part of the Confederate South. So on June 19, 1865, Union General Granger announced General Order No. 3, freeing the slaves. Hence Juneteenth. I couldn't find any Juneteenth celebrations on O'ahu, but there was one on Maui. It is celebrated the most by African-Americans in Texas. I will have to check with the African American Diversity Cultural Center Hawai'i to see what events they sponsor here.

Yesterday was Father's Day. Curtis & Lori had a small dinner at their house; Dad didn't feel like going, he slept most of the day. I brought back some food and found him awake and watching TV at about 8:30. He said he wasn't hungry; I'm sure it was because he had filled up on Nutter Butters. He had his Father's Day dinner tonight and enjoyed it.

Before I went over to Curtis' house, I went to visit BJ; he said he had some things for Dad. The most important was the video monitor system, but they also gave us a bunch of incontinence supplies. Since Dad doesn't need these now, but Lori's mom needs them, they said to take the supplies over to Curt & Lori's. Before I left BJ also gave me a big pan of mango bread pudding. Onolicious!

I set the monitors up after I got home from Curt's house. Camera 2 is in the family room by the TV, facing towards the chair Dad sits in and the kitchen. I set up the other camera to test by focusing it on where Shiro likes to sleep at night. The flat thing on the chair in the photo below is a sleeping Shiro. As you can see, it also monitors the temperature; if it goes over 85 degrees F it gives you a high temperature warning. It was doing that for most of the day today in the family room, where it said the temperature got up to 88F. It started cooling down to 85F about 8 pm. This evening I set Camera 1 up in Dad's bedroom so I can see when he gets out of bed; I can also see about half the floor so if he falls I can see him on the floor. (It's aimed at the part of the room where he spends more of his time so is more likely to fall.) I also found a bunch of dust that needs cleaning
Shiro at around 11 pm.
Lots of dust here.

As I mentioned on Friday, I started walking again in the morning for exercise. Today was my 3rd day. (I skipped Saturday to go to the Hokule'a homecoming.) Yesterday I saw a Little Free Library on Maunaloa Avenue, across from Liholiho School. It must have been there the 1st day I was walking but I just didn't notice it. I'll have to keep an eye on it and see what shows up; I might donate some of Mom's books. Interestingly, in the Honolulu area there are only 4 registered Little Free Libraries. And 2 of them are within walking distance for me, the other is about 5 blocks away on 12th Avenue between Alohea & Maunalei. (There are only 2 on the Big Island, one in Captain Cook, the other in Pahoa. None in the north end, perhaps I will be the steward for one.)

I love avocados! Here's a new variety that showed up at the co-op the other day. I picked one up to see how it compares to the others I have been sampling.

The thank you notes for Mom's service were ready so I went to pick them up today. Last night on the news they mentioned that the corpse flower at the Foster Botanical Garden was blooming! So I decied to stop in there before I went to Hosoi since it was just a couple blocks away. Well, I must not have been listening well, the one at Foster is not blooming. But I got an annual membership anyway, so when it is blooming I will have a faster time getting though the entrance. I got some brochures and discovered that there are 5 botanical gardens in Honolulu, including one nearby, the Koko Crater Botanical Garden.


I also checked out the Nu'uanu Stream which runs alongside the parking lot for the Foster Botanical Garden; I was parked right next to it. There was a bunch of ducks hanging out in the stream.


As I left Hosoi I noticed a building with a bunch of antennae on its roof. In a weird way it reminded me of the Hokule'a or another sailing vessel. Not sure what the white structure below the antennae were for.

Happy Birthday to Tom & Alan!

No comments:

Post a Comment