Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Culturally Significant Carb Season

I bought a small gau today. It is a dessert type carb made with glutinous rice. It is one of the foods eaten for the Chinese New Year celebration. I shared it with The Roommates this evening. The other culturally significant carb I look forward to at this time of the year is jin dui, more on that next week.


I gave The Most Excellent Cook & The Bronco Dude a ride to the airport this morning; they were wrapping up their short working vacation here. The airport was busy! Today was the 1st time I got blocked in while I was dropping someone off.

There's a bus to the left that has me trapped.

Like Janice, the Most Excellent Cook left me with a bag of stuff they were not able to finish before they left.

That's the biggest nashi that I've ever seen.

I stopped at Kokua Market on the way back; I needed more cottage cheese. I will no longer be picking up any frozen items or main dish deli items; I did however, get some sauteed kale & broccoli and some roasted vegetables.

When I got back I had a plain proothie; I had bought some kale to throw in it but have not washed it up yet. 


As I was doing things I noticed an odd pattern out in the cat run, under the plant shelves. It turned out to be Keala's bright white paws that I was seeing; the rest of her coloration blended in with the shadows as I was looking through the screen door. When I got down on her level without the screen door she was much more visible.


For dinner I had more of one of the soups made by The Potential Most Favorite Roommate.


The eruption at the Kīlauea volcano is a little more active than it was yesterday. It seems to be in a phase of slowing then speeding up, then slowing down again, & doing it all over again. The latest Volcan Awareness Week video from a couple days ago talked about the emissions related to the variable flow of lava. There is still snow on Mauna Kea but it has not snowed for a couple weeks so it is slowly melting off.

At 12:33 p.m.
At 4:56 p.m.
At 12:33 p.m.
At 4:56 p.m.
At 12:33 p.m.
At 4:56 p.m.
Mauna Kea at 12:22 p.m.

I forgot to get a screen shot of the Aix weather app first thing this morning so I don't know what Aix forecast this morning. No matter, I also forgot to get screen shots from the traffic cams. It was relatively sunny in Honolulu today.

Kaimukī looking northerly at 10:34 a.m.
Waikīkī looking easterly at 12:34 p.m.

I also forgot to get the surf reports today. For the most part, surf in the morning was smaller than later in the day.The north facing shores appeared to have the best conditions.

Laniakea (N) at 12:31 p.m.
Hilo Bay (E) at 12:31 p.m.
Waikīkī (S) at 12:32 p.m.
Banyans (W) at 12:33 p.m.
Laniakea (N) at 4:55 p.m.
Hilo Bay (E) at 4:53 p.m.
Banyans (W) at 4:56 p.m.

The poll today in the local paper was about ordering the test kits. Of those that responded to this unscientific poll, 77% said they have already ordered their test kit; 21% said they donʻt plan on getting one. I wonder if those 21% are also unvaccinated?


There were 3929 new cases of COVID-19 reported today, bringing the total known cases up to 184,767. There were no new deaths reported so the death toll remains at 1126; currently there are 56,558 cases considered to be active. As of today there were 2,659,585 doses of vaccine administered providing 75.3% of the State population with full vaccination & 81.2% with at least one dose; 30.7% have received a 3rd dose. There are currently 377 cases that are hospitalized with 47 in the ICU & 27 on ventilators. The 7-day new case average for the State is 4195; the 7-day new case average for Oʻahu is 2980. No test positivity rate is currently being calculated since the system is overwhelmed dealing with the positive cases.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Bo & Amy!

No comments:

Post a Comment