Thursday, March 31, 2016

It's In the Mail

Most of today was spent making phone calls for Mom about various things. I found out the car insurance renewal form is in the mail (it apparently takes 2 weeks for it to arrive in Hawai'i), hurricane insurance for Mom and Dad's house will be an additional $700 per year, there is no easy way to change Mom's voicemail password so that she can get her messages, and the bank needs a hard copy of Uncle George's death certificate in order for him to be removed from the account Mom keeps for the Kohala house (its been about 10 years since he died so they won't take an electronic copy). Mom had voice mail messages from 2014 on her phone! So if you were one of the people wondering why she never called you back, that's the answer! (And for those of you who are wondering why I don't have voice mail on my cell phone it is because I think I should only be charged once for a phone call. It was confirmed for me again today that I pay for the call when it is received by my phone as well as when I go to listen to it.)

I gave Mom the adult coloring books; they are supposed to help with memory and stress-relief. She was very interested in them. The last time I was here she was complaining about not being able to do the crossword puzzle because the print was too small; I got her large print books (which were also easier than the New York Times crossword puzzles she was doing in the newspaper). Although she sounded interested in them, I don't see them around so I think they did not get used. Over the last year she has been having more trouble with finding the right words or even any words at all sometimes so I think crossword puzzles became more challenging for her. Hopefully, the adult coloring books will be able to provide her with some entertainment.


I cleaned out the Cat Genie today. For those of you who are thinking, "But I thought you said it was self-cleaning," you are correct. It cleans the stuff out of the bowl and mainly flushes it out of the unit. There is always some residue left, that is what I was cleaning out. It is actually quite easy to clean. I also ran the maintenance cartridge to get to other parts that I can't reach. Although they say you can run the maintenance cartridge in lieu of taking it apart like I did, I think that with 4 cats using it and 2 people being unable to troubleshoot if anything should go wrong, doing both is good insurance. Here it is almost done; this is the ickiest part of the system, but there is no smell because of the sani-solution.


Today Shirokiya closed. But it is only a temporary closure. They open up on June 1st in the new Ewa wing of the Ala Moana Shopping Center. Kai was sad when I told him about this; he would have liked to have been here to take advantage of the sales. His favorite bookstore is located in Shirokiya.


Momo was annoying Xander this evening. He was flicking his tail in Xander's face. Although Xander is bigger than Momo, he does not know this. He left.


Shiro has found a new sleeping place. No one else seems to like this spot.


Happy Birthday to Peter and Glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment