Friday, April 1, 2016

The Big Day

Today was the Big Day: Mom's geriatric assessment. Dr. Lo was great! She figured right that Mom did not want to go into assisted living, so she used that information to help Mom understand what might happen that could send her to assisted living. She also picked up on the fact that Mom did not want any official person coming to the house to check on her. The "contract" that she worked out with Mom was that Mom needs to listen to me and Dad regarding taking her medication. If Mom does not, then Dr. Lo will make a referral to have someone come and check up on her.

We also got her "new" glasses ordered. Almost exactly a year ago, Dr. Gushiken prescribed distance viewing glasses only. She said she thought Mom was tripping and falling because she was looking through the reading portion of her bifocals when she looked down to take a step and misjudging things because of the distortion. When I tried to get her to do it last year, she refused. But after talking with Dr. Lo, she agreed to have them made. They should be ready in about 3 weeks; now we will have to see if she uses them.

One of the other positive impacts was finding out that her blood pressure is down to 120/58 mmHg. Yay! Having her on the correct type and frequency of medication is making a difference!

Got to meet Tony the yard guy this morning. He will be coming by once a month to weed eat the yard and outside area. I told him my broad plans and said I would talk to him more once I moved back. The fact that he does Curt and Lori's lawn makes Mom less paranoid about having him doing her lawn. I think this has been a factor in her having someone come in and repair things.

After Tony left, Aunty Florence, Mom, and I went to lunch at Big City Diner. Aunty Florence had remembered going there on a previous trip and wanted to try it again.
L to r: Fried Min, Hamburger Steak, and Thai Shrimp Lettuce Wrap

Then we went to Goodwill. Aunty Florence wanted to get a walker for Mom. Even though we could not find a walker we came back with $50 worth of stuff!


This evening I went to dinner with my high school friends Jackie and Lois; once again Alan was busy with his fish club meeting. We tried Olive Tree Cafe, which serves "mostly Greek food." Lois and I had the shaorma and Jackie tried their fish souvlaki.
My shaorma

Happy Birthday to Chad, Beverly, Garrett, Stef, and Maya!

1 comment:

  1. I am always excited to see the food pictures! I'm amazed at all the good places that you go to eat. I have never been to most of them. Looking forward to going to some on my next trip home!

    ReplyDelete