Monday, March 19, 2018

Dad's Physical Therapy

Curtis & I arrived at about the same time to give Dad moral support during his physical therapy today. Zhanna, whom we met on Friday evening, was his physical therapist again today; she spent a full hour with Dad today. He did better today than he has done on any of the other days!
Dad doing one of his PT exercises, reaching across with his left hand to his right knee.

We actually got there early enough to be there as lunch was being served. Nurse Gloria fed Dad as much as he wanted. Then she fed him a couple more spoonfuls; he still ate only about a tenth of what was served. It was a lot like feeding a picky toddler.
Nurse Gloria feeding Dad his Magic Cup.

I left Maunalani after PT was done since I was going to be back for dinner with Lynn after her ukulele session at 4. Shortly after I got back to Maunalani, Nurse Kriezl had another bunch of paperwork that I needed to fill out about Dad. Many of the questions were similar to previous questions that I had answered but asked for more detail; I'm not sure how someone with dementia would be able to answer these questions. By the time she was done I had missed all of Lynn's ukulele session. But Lynn, her friend Myra who was helping her, & I got together for dinner and had a great time eating with some of the World War II veterans; one of them is 100 years old!

During dinner, Nurse Kriezl came up and told me that Dad wanted to have his photo taken. Photographer Shane Sato is coming back to Maunalani tomorrow to take photos of more 442 veterans. He has taken photos of a few of the other residents who are 442 vets, two of them were incorporated in to his book, The Go For Broke Spirit: Portraits of Courage. Curtis & I will be going over early to deliver Dad's 442 shirt and Curtis will also give Dad a shave.

There's a cat that lives at Maunalani! She lives outside and is frequently seen on the 3rd floor lanai by the entrance; I actually saw her in the parking lot as I left. I am hoping to use her as an incentive to get Dad in to the wheelchair and outside. I will be keeping cat treats in the bag I take to Maunalani. (I am also going to see if I can take one of the cats to visit Dad. I have heard that other residents have had their small dogs come to visit them.)

Happy Birthday to George, Suzi, & Zach!

No comments:

Post a Comment