Friday, March 23, 2018

Dad Meets Popokilani

I got to Maunalani about 2:30 to get Dad ready for his occupational therapy session at 2:50. Yesterday when we left we were under the impression that Dad was going to get physical therapy at 11 and occupational therapy at 1. When Curtis arrived this morning he discovered that there would be no PT today and OT would be at 2:50. (I found out later, Dad can only get 5 days of physical therapy each week.) CNA Sylvestre got Dad out of bed for his OT and I wheeled him down the hall to wait near the doorway to the gym and therapy areas. I saw Popokilani out on the lanai so I wheeled Dad out to meet her. Popokilani came up to us and enjoyed the treats I brought; but she is a very well-mannered cat and would not jump up on Dad. Even though it was overcast and a little cool, Dad wanted to stay outside with Popokilani.
Grumpy Cat meets Popokilani. FYI Dad doesn't know who Grumpy Cat is.

Things were a little hectic for the occupational therapists today; Dad's session got changed to 4 pm because the OT was coming in from another location. When he arrived, Nolan worked with Dad on strengthening his core muscles. Nolan said he would tell the scheduler that Dad has family that helps Dad do the exercises so that they avoid changing his time after they have told us when to show up.
Dad grabs cones ...
... and puts them in to Nolan's hand.
Nolan does active assisted range of motion exercises to loosen up Dad's shoulder.
Nolan makes Dad reach forward with the rod to exercise his back muscles.

This morning before I left the house one of the Purple seat cushions arrived. This is the 1" thick cushion; I also ordered a 2" thick cushion. The instructions say you can do the egg test on your own if your Purple is 2" or thicker. For thinner cushions, they say to test it by sitting on your keys. Dad sat on this Purple cushion for almost 2 hours, which is about twice as long as he usually sits before he complains about his okole being sore. Hopefully, with the 2" cushion he will be able to sit longer before becoming uncomfortable.
The cushion comes with a cover to protect it.
Here's what the cushion looks like.

On the way back to his room we stopped at the Castle Living Room to check out the pre-dinner activity; it was karaoke. Dad wasn't interested so I took him back to his room.


I took Chibi to the Cat Clinic this morning for her geriatric cat check up. Her office check up went well. Dr. Sylvester said her weight is good and she looks very healthy in spite of being FIV-positive. I had them do the geriatric blood work even though she had it done on her last check up 6 months ago; because of her FIV status I think its important to keep a closer eye on her health. I will find out tomorrow or Monday what the results are. (Even after 10 years all the other cats are FIV-negative since it is transmitted by bites and not casual contact.)


Before I took Chibi to the vet, I worked on deicing the freezer so that more cold air could get in to the refrigerator, which held steady at 60 degrees F overnight; the freezer was at 20 F, it should have been at 0 F. I discovered how to remove the shelves in the freezer. I'm glad I had started to empty out the other freezer, I moved a lot of freezer items into it. It appears I still need to have the defrost heater replaced, but at least I can keep things cold till the repair guy arrives on April 4th. When I got back in the evening after visiting Dad I found the refrigerator was now at 55 F; cleaning off that ice helped! There's still more I can remove.
There is ice built up in the freezer, some of the ice blocks the vent holes.
I removed the shelf to be able to get at the ice easier.
When I removed the cover on the light I found the space filled with ice.
I got this much cleared out before I had to take Chibi to the vet.

Happy Birthday to Marian, Mike, & Sandy!

No comments:

Post a Comment