Sunday, March 25, 2018

Mom's 1 Year Anniversary

Mom died 1 year ago today; I put a lei up at her niche. Which was a real stretch for me; the top edge of her niche is at the upper limit of my reach, even on my tiptoes. While I was stretching, a nice older lady asked if I needed help, I told her I was a little too short; she said she wouldn't be able to help on that part. When I said that I should bring a stool next time, she remembered she had one in her car that I could borrow! It was just what I needed!

I picked up one of the brownies that Lori made for Dad and headed up to Maunalani. Curtis helped Dad with his physical therapy this morning and also eating lunch. Dad only took a couple bites of his peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I stayed with him through dinner; he didn't eat much dinner either, he kept nodding off. All he really ate was Lori's brownie!

Yesterday I did a lot of stuff but didn't get to write about it last night because I was busy and then tired. I started out by writing a memo to the Maunalani director of rehab, requesting a regular schedule for Dad's physical & occupational therapy to provide him with therapy every day and allow us to schedule to be present during therapy. I went up to Maunalani in time for Dad's lunch. I followed a bus up the hill; it was exciting watching it navigate the narrow roads and picking up passengers, all during a very rainy morning.
The #14 is the bus line that goes up to Maunalani.

Later in the afternoon Curtis came up with Lori & Brent; Dad and I were in the activity room watching Pitch Perfect 3; I'm not really sure what that movie is about. It had stopped raining, so we went out to the lanai to see if we could find Popokilani; she was around the corner by her food dishes.
L to R: Lori, Curtis, Dad, & Brent.
Brent plays with Popokilani.

While we were outside playing with Popokilani I got a call from Alan. Oh, no! I forgot it was Saturday, the night of the KHS Foundation Dinner! He was sitting at the house in the driveway, I told him to pick Lois up 1st and I would be there as soon as I could; I went straight down Wilhelmina Rise and made it back in 7 minutes! (Usually it takes 15 minutes on the Sierra Drive switchback route.) The dinner is a fundraiser for the KHS Foundation which provides grants for various projects at our old high school. This is the 16th year for the fundraiser dinner; it starts with a Silent Auction, then a dinner catered by a local restaurant, ending with live entertainment by current and/or former Kaimuki High School performers. This year is the 75th anniversary of the founding of Kaimuki High School. Last year I was supposed to go but called Alan and excused myself since I could tell Mom was going downhill; it turned out it was the night she died.
We were wondering why they gave each of us this reusable shopping bag; it was to carry the 2 bento boxes of dinner & 1 of Leonard's malasadas.
The one on the left has (top to bottom): Assorted Sushi, Tossed Salad, & Potato Macaroni Salad. The one on the right (clockwise from top L): Chicken Nishime, Okinawan Shoyu Pork, Braised Beef Shortribs, & Rice.
The entertainment was provided by Ben Vegas & Maila Gibson. This is why its called a phone, not a camera!

Happy Birthday to Vivian, Glenn, & Jose!

No comments:

Post a Comment