Monday, March 26, 2018

Dad Runs a Fever Again

When I got to Maunalani at lunch today, Curtis told me that Dad had a low fever; they had given him Tylenol to bring it down. They also gave him an ice pack. A couple hours later CNA Mario found Dad's temperature was back down to normal. Apparently if the fever goes to 102 degrees F or higher after they have given the resident Tylenol and the ice pack, the protocol is to send the resident to the hospital. I checked with Nurse Susan; she said Dad's labs from last week showed a lower white blood cell count than the previous lab and that nothing has been cultured from his blood. His flu swab also came back negative.
CNA Mario taking Dad's temperature, blood pressure, & blood oxygen level.

We discovered there is a microwave in the activity room that is available for guests to use. Since the main freezer is only able to keep a few items frozen and the secondary freezer is full, I have been sorting through things and pulling out meals that just need to be heated up to take for my lunch. (Subsequently it will be highly unlikely that I will meet my weight loss goal for the next 2 weeks.) I have never seen a microwave like this one, it has braille on the control panel.
The Panasonic NE-1054F.

As I was leaving the activity room, Jody approached me and asked me if Dad could eat ice cream and chocolate chip cookies; I told her, Yes. It turns out that was nearly the only thing Dad ate today. He refused almost all of his lunch and dinner, he ate only a couple of spoonfuls of his Magic Cup. Other than his occupational therapy in the morning, he spent most of it sleeping; most likely reacting to the fever.
Yum! Ice cream and cookies!

Maunalani is high enough that you can see over the top of the rim of Leahi and look down in to the crater. Well, not all the way to the bottom, just over the rim to the other side.
Looking in to Leahi from Mr. Izon's window.

I opened up the Cougar Gold canned cheese tonight. This is actually the cheese I gave Curtis & Lori. However, he did not keep it in the refrigerator; he had it in the cabinet instead. The top of the can was slightly puffed up; so he gave it to me. As I was opening it tonight I remembered when we bought it that I was told it would still be okay if it puffed up because of the process that the cheese goes through in the canning. There was no mold or other funny things going on with it. And it tastes great! It's good to know that the canned cheese will still be edible without refrigeration. (The flyer says it can be stored indefinitely if unopened and kept at 70 degrees F or less. So it would do fine in the malfunctioning refrigerator.)


Happy Birthday to Brian & Todd!

No comments:

Post a Comment