Friday, June 1, 2018

First Friday With Barb & Mari

I was originally going to pick Barb & Mari up at their hotel, but I got a call changing the location to Don Quijote. When Mari lived in Japan she became enamored with Don Quijote, she was delighted to find one here in Hawai'i! We headed to Chinatown to do the First Friday artwalk. Although we had fun, we think they need to be better organized, the artwalk map needs to be downloadable from the Internet, and/or they need walking maps available at the participating venues. We met William from ZAFA studio, I signed up on his e-mail list so that I can get info about future classes. We also checked out Madre Chocolate, yummy! There we found out there is a cacao farm in Hawi. We ended up at The Pig & The Lady for dinner. Everything we had was excellent! Along the way we also found a dead Rock Pigeon.
William from ZAFA demonstrating the articulating bird wing he built.
Map and article showing Healani Orchards in Hawi.
Gado gado at The Pig & The Lady.
Dead Rock Pigeon (Columba livia) in Chinatown. It probably hit a window; there are no raptors on this island that could kill this size of bird. Unlike in Everett where we would find pigeon leftovers from raptor kills on the city sidewalks.

Early this morning I took Xander to the Cat Clinic; I started the boarding early. Yesterday I spent a lot of time wondering how he was doing; when I got home he did not look good at all. He had not tried to eat the tuna, it did not look like he drank any water. Later in the evening he went and slept in the Cat Genie (which I had disconnected so it would not start up on him like the last time he slept in it). So this morning I called and took him in so I would know that he was being watched; besides, he's been boarded there several times before and likes it. And they like him, too.
Xander & his pills on the way to the Cat Clinic.

Dad was up in his wheelchair in the Orchid Dining Room by the time I arrived at Maunalani. (I just recently found out the 2nd floor dining room is called the Orchid Room.) As usual, no solid food, just the Boost supplements; I found out today that he gained 2 pounds since his last weigh-in, so the Boost is helping. I took him upstairs for the exercise session, which was followed by the ukulele jam with Lynn, Myra, & Gloria; as usual he loved it.
Breakfast time.

While Dad was enjoying the ukulele music, I went down to the park to get centered again; there's a spot where I can sit in the shade and see Leahi. But it was difficult for me to concentrate, too much noise at the park today. Then it began to drizzle; there is something about the rain that is comforting to me. Perhaps it is just that it is water and its wet. Perhaps because it dampens the sounds & cleans the air.
Leahi from Maunalani Park.

Just as I was getting back to Maunalani the Cat Clinic called; Dr. Sylvester wanted me to come in at noon to discuss Xander's care. I got Dad set up for lunch, turned his care over to the CNAs, then left to talk to Dr. Sylvester. Because of the less than stellar reaction that Xander was having to the chemotherapy she suggested a less aggressive course so that he would have a better quality of life for his remaining time. That is the route we are now pursuing. Right now Xander is also under some warming blankets, his temperature was at 97 degrees F, it should have been at 102 F; no wonder he was lying in the Cat Genie, waiting for the hot air blower to come on! They started him on IV fluids since he is a little dehydrated, when he is stronger they will insert a feeding tube to get some food in him and also administer the 6 pills a day that he is on. We'll be able to come and visit him every day if we want. I'm glad I took him in this morning.

On the way back to Maunalani I stopped and called Kai. Instead of going back to Seattle after our visit to Robert & Vivian, he will come to Honolulu for a few days to visit with Xander.

Later in the afternoon I did my more normal walk. I found nothing unusual, though I did see the Cattle Egret again, near the sidewalk in the forested area. It was relatively calm and watched me walk by without moving away from the sidewalk. I also saw an adult Saffron Finch feeding a juvenile finch.
Cattle Egret (Bubulcus ibis).
Saffron Finches (Sicalis flaveola), juvenile (L) being fed by adult (R)

The Roommates and I visited Xander before I went to pick up Barb & Mari. I also wanted to introduce them to the Cat Clinic staff, originally it was so The Potential Most Favorite Roommate could pick Xander up and take him for his chemotherapy treatment at VERC. Now it was just so they could visit him while I am gone.

CJ says the shirt in the photo of her at Machu Picchu was UPF 50+. She said she also took a rash guard and hoodie coverup (both UPF 50+) and they worked well both at 12,000 ft elevation as well as on the boat when they were in the Galapagos Islands. She got her sun protection clothing from Eddie Bauer and REI; I'll have to check them out the next time I am in Seattle.

Happy Birthday to Leigh & Kendee!

No comments:

Post a Comment