Saturday, June 30, 2018

Need to Practice More Self Control

As I mentioned a few days ago, Maunalani will provide a complimentary meal for you if you help the resident you are visiting during the meal. So I have been eating lunch with Dad. The portions at Maunalani are much more reasonable than at the Sunrise Cafe at Kaiser Moanalua; in part because kupuna eat less. I have been leaving the rice that they serve but eating most everything else. Here is today's lunch; I should have only eaten half the pasta but I am a sucker for pasta, especially with a tasty cream based sauce!
Clockwise from upper left: Tomato florentine soup, Tossed salad, Chicken florentine with angel hair pasta, Lemon butter broccoli, Pineapple cheesecake.









And I have been eating a full dinner as well. So at yesterday's official weigh-in I discovered, even with 2 walks a day, I have gained 0.2 pounds. Of course, the trip to Coldfyyre last night didn't help any even though I skipped my nightly pistachio snack to make up for it. I will have to be more adamant about my portion control, especially when it comes to carbs that I like.

Luz is one of the LPNs at Maunalani; she used to live on Whidbey Island! She moved to Hawai'i after coming here for vacation and finding out she was not allergic to any of the flowers here like she was in Washington; she also didn't break out in hives because of the cold. She said it was like being at home in Colombia. It was an easy decision for her to move!

On the way home I stopped at City Mill. I had seen a fruit picker there like the one I used for our apples in Washington; I got one for the papayas. I tried it when I got home; its works better for apples. Since papayas grow straight from the trunk there is very little space to maneuver the picker so that the tines can grab the fruit. You can't twist the papaya off the trunk like you can with an apple off its fruit spur.

DT is back from Michigan for a few weeks. He came over to borrow the RAV4 while he is here. He had pulled it out and washed it when I got home.


We watched My Destiny again tonight; we missed the last 3 weeks so we had a bunch of catching up to do. It seems that Matthew was doing Grace a favor making believe he was Lucas to flirt with Joy to cheer her up. (So he's only a 2-timer and not a 3-timer as we had originally thought.) Joy has pneumonia, a complication of her leukemia, and is in surgery to remove fluid from one of her lungs as the installment ended this evening.
Matthew & Grace. (Screen shot from KIKU)

Happy Birthday to Cathy!

No comments:

Post a Comment