Monday, June 25, 2018

What's That Sound?

This morning as I was getting ready to leave the house, I heard the sounds of dripping water outside the back door. It turns out the hose fitting for the hose going to the sprinkler in the back yard was just loose. I really like repairs like that! (The sprinkler is on a timer so that the papayas and other plants in its path are watered regularly.)
Oh no! A leak!
All better now!

Temperatures today were a little cooler because it was slightly overcast with a light breeze. And it was still warmer at the house than it was at Maunalani.
At the house.
At Maunalani.

I had the park to myself this morning. It gave me a lot of time to check out the mystery bird, which is no longer a mystery! It is a Scaly-breasted Munia (Lonchura punctulata). I was having some difficulty because the juveniles and adults have slightly different color patterns.
Not perfect, but I could see a lot more through the binoculars that confirmed that this is a Scaly-breasted munia.

I met Dr. May this morning; he's says he's only here for a couple of weeks of rehab. He was listening to Bach on the computer in the library, which is in the same room as the reception area. He said he was president of the music club in college & would like to start one at Maunalani. I helped him find a copy of the Brandenburg Concertos to listen to on the computer.

I wish I could attach an audio file to this blog. As I mentioned before, Dad has been a little constipated. This morning he said he had to go to the bathroom, so CNAs Ashleigh & Evangeline helped take him there. A short while later I heard clapping and cheering! I talked to Dr. Gries this morning, he will increase Dad's Senna prescription to twice  day; I am also trying to get him to drink prune juice at breakfast.

As usual, at lunch Dad didn't eat any of his peanut butter & jelly sandwich, but he finished off both the Boost Plus and Boost Breeze. Basically the lunch they are giving me is what would have been his portion of food. So I offered him a bit of everything I had on the tray, multiple times; he always said no, he wasn't hungry.
Clockwise spiral starting at top L: Minestrone soup, Tossed salad, Orange pound cake, Chicken fettucine alfredo with Corn niblets.

On my 2nd walk to the park, I talked with the Honolulu Police Department officer that was directing traffic on Sierra Drive as they dug around the water line that was near the gas line. Since I had the binoculars, he asked if I had seen anything interesting. I told him I had confirmed that there were 17 species of birds using the park; couldn't tell if that impressed him or made him wonder about my mental state.

Dad got out of bed in the afternoon! His friend Walter's daughter Lynn was here to play ukulele & sing along with her friends Myra & Gloria. Dad actually sang along on some of the songs. After that he actually joined Lynn & Myra at the veteran's table in the 3rd floor dining room; but he didn't eat anything, only drank his Boost supplement.
Ukulele (L to R): Dad, Myra, Gloria, & Lynn.
Dinner (L to R): Dad, Mr. Watanabe, & Mr. Kam.

I e-mailed my Kaiser Permanente primary care provider (PCP) Dr. Pham photos of the blotches that are starting to form on several areas of my body. There were only 2 on Friday, now there are more. And the one on my left shoulder has gotten larger. I told her about the tick bite and asked her if I should come in to see her about it. Dr. Pham consulted with a colleague that has dealt with tick-borne diseases and is taking a conservative approach; tomorrow I am picking up a 2-week prescription for doxycycline, which is useful against several tick-borne diseases. FYI - I do not have a fever. After looking at photos of rashes & ulcers caused by various tick-borne diseases & reading about potential long term effects leaving it untreated, I agree with Dr. Pham's  conservative approach. Early treatment is more effective.
Left shoulder, 06/22/18.
Left shoulder, 06/25/18.
Left gluteus.
Right popliteal.

In order to have enough water to keep hydrated for my walks, I have been freezing 2 bottles of water overnight and filling my insulated bottle in the morning. I set one of the frozen bottles out in the morning; as it melts I pour it in to the insulated bottle. When the 1st is gone, I set out the 2nd one. It tends to provide me enough water for my entire day at Maunalani.

When I got back from Michigan, I also found a flyer posted for staff workout classes. One of the CNAs said I should check if they will let me in to the class! It might be a good piece to my current exercise program.

Happy Birthday to Felipe & Susan!

No comments:

Post a Comment