Saturday, June 23, 2018

Na Kolea

I saw the lost Kolea (Pacific Golden Plover, Pluvialis fulva) again this morning! This time with 2 buddies. Only the original Kolea (I am assuming it is the original one I saw back in early May) was in breeding colors; the other 2 were not. One was kinda halfway between non-breeding & breeding colors. Not sure what that is about since they are now about 1&1/2 months late in leaving for their Arctic breeding grounds.
When Mei-Mei came by the kolea froze; they would be well camouflaged on the beach but not here.

I met Omar and his buddies Mei-Mei & Rocco at the park this morning. Mei-Mei & Rocco are very friendly, happy dogs! Sometimes though, Rocco gets a little excited and wants to go & meet everybody!
Back to front: Omar, Rocco, Mei-Mei.

When I left the house it was 80 degrees F, when I finished my morning walk it was 75 F. It is nice that the breeze returned last night; it was quite breezy up at Maunalani today.


At 3 a.m. this morning, finally! A breeze!

Here's the railing that I am doing my sissy push-ups on during my cool down stretches in the early morning. At the 2nd floor landing, I stand about 3 shoe lengths from the railing; here I have to stand 4&1/2 lengths so that I don't hit my face against the upper portion of the railing. Not sure if I am working different muscles  or its just a more difficult workout due to the angle but I can feel it more, so I have reduced the number of reps to 10 on this railing.

When I was coming back from changing out of my workout clothes I ran in to Mildred in the hallway; she works at Maunalani in food services. She told me she would bring me a lunch today. When I retured from my trip last week I noticed a new sign in the elevator about Maunalani providing a meal for you if you come to help feed the person you are visiting; I just never called to request it because I do fine with my hard-boiled egg. I was intending on only walking twice a day so I don't lose weight too fast, however, if Mildred keeps bringing me a regular lunch I may have to increase that to 3 times a day!

From top left, spiraling in: Beef & Rice Soup, Tossed Salad, Ambrosia, Steamed Rice, Malibu Blend Vegetables, & Mushroom Chicken.

Brent & Shawn came to visit Dad again. They came just as he was getting out of the Namaste session and going in to lunch. We sat out on the 2nd Floor Lanai with Dad while he ate his lunch; which he didn't really eat, he only drank the Boost supplements. Brent helped wheel him back in when the weather shifted and became a little breezier.
Dad & Brent.

I didn't have to go far to see birds today. This Cattle egret was in the Wellness Center Courtyard when I went to check on Dad. It flew up to the banister when I came out of the building.


I still keep track of my time; old habits are hard to break. It helps me figure out how much time different things take to complete. I had been tracking my walks to the park as "Mental health breaks", which I consider them to be. But I decided today that I would list the early morning walk in the "Exercise" category since it starts before I start my time hanging around Maunalani, so theoretically I should not need a mental health break at that time.

My 2nd walk was at the afternoon shift change. Right down on the field there was nothing spectacular, just the same old birds. But in one of the trees on the northeast side of the park I saw the male White-rumped shama (Copsychus malabaricus) again! I think it is getting used to seeing me stop & take photos but not make any threatening moves; it stayed a lot longer and was closer than it has been before. Now I am more sure that the female must be in a nest in that area of the park.


This is what happens when you are not coordinated with the key for the Bathroom #2 door on the 3rd floor. The key is on an ~6" diameter round metal hoop. Somehow I managed to pinch my thumb between the doorjamb & the metal hoop while turning the key to unlock the door. Ouch!

Happy Birthday to Jim, Sam, Jeannie, & Kyle!

2 comments:

  1. Too bad about the thumb.i'm concerned about the red spots on your shoulders. Any answers. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Red spots might be associated with the tick bite on 06/11 or so. Dr treating it with doxycycline just in case it is.

    ReplyDelete