Friday, August 4, 2023

Did You Feel It?

I was awakened this morning at 5:24 am; thankfully not by a sharp pain in my back! It was just a Magnitude 3.9 earthquake. Initially, the earthquake was reported as a M 3.6 temblor. Later it was revised to M 3.9. I filled out the USGS Did You Feel It? report which provides scientists with more information about events. Because I was asleep when it happened I do not know if there was a sound that preceded the shaking. Neither the cats nor the dog were unusually active following the very mild & short duration shake.

I was filling this out minutes after the earthquake.
Later in the afternoon the magnitude & depth were revised.

It was a nice sunny morning so I picked more jaboticaba with Anne today. We were still able to get a lot without the use of the ladder. In fact, we got about 31 pounds, almost as much as yesterday. I think there will be about 20 pounds tomorrow from the ground & may be another 20 pounds with the use of the ladder. I gave Anne about 5 pounds, I also took about 10 pounds to Fresh Off the Grid, & gave about 3 pounds each to neighbors Jessie & Jeremiah.

Sixty-one minutes after sunrise.
Before.
After.

I also went to Lapakahi & gave Dane 5 pounds for his ʻohana. And took him some lunch. Because of the stabbing pain in my back on Tuesday, I did not go in that day. I usually also go in on Friday but decided to take it easy. But then Dane called, he was there today since he is swapping days with next Monday & Tuesday when he needs to have some medical procedures done. So I went in today to keep him company; I made him do all the work.

Over the course of the day Hurricane Dora slowly lost some speed. At 5 this morning the maximum sustained winds were about 120 mph, same as yesterday. By the end of the day the winds had slowed to 105 mph so Dora was no longer a major hurricane; forecasters say there will be more weakening tomorrow but not much for Sunday or Monday. Hurricane force winds extend about 15 miles from the center & tropical storm force winds extend about 45 miles while Dora continues to move westerly at about 18 mph. It is expected to move into the Central Pacific region on Sunday but remain well south of us as it passes by early next week. Currently it is about 1700 miles to the east of us.


Another low pressure area off the coast of Mexico looks like it may become a tropical depression. This area is where a lot of storms start, then they make their way westerly across the Pacific if the surface waters are warm enough. Forecasters are giving it a 90% chance of becoming more organized within the next 48 hours; they are saying later tonight or on Saturday. It is currently moving northwesterly at about 15 mph.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Mark, Sego, Hendra, & Jessica!

No comments:

Post a Comment