Saturday, August 5, 2023

Mistake!

Ooops! I was wrong in my estimate of 20 pounds of jaboticaba from the ground; I thought there was more on the back (east) side of the tree close to the ground. But there wasn't. So today I was picking with the use of the ladder. In spite of that handicap, I harvested almost 33 pounds today! It did take me a little longer since I needed to set up the ladder & move it; I should be able to finish picking the rest of them tomorrow. With today's harvest the cumulative harvest amount is about 96 pounds!

West side, before.
West side, after.
East side, before.
East side, after.
About 33 pounds of jaboticaba.

I spent several hours delivering jaboticaba to a bunch of friends. It wasn't that they lived far away; it was more that I had not seen some of them for a while. I have made several "groups" on my phone for people who would like the types of fruit that I have. This way, as the harvest period for a fruit gets closer, I know who to contact to see if they would like some fresh fruit. Currently I have 16 people in the "Jaboticaba" group.

Early this morning (Hawaiian time) Dora again became Major Hurricane Dora & was classified as a Category 3 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale. Earlier Dora had maximum sustained winds of 115 mph which increased to 120 mph by morning. Although Dora had been forecast to weaken later tonight & continue declining through Monday; the 8 am advisory noted maximum wind speeds had increased to 125 mph & they were now forecasting that Dora would continue gaining speed throughout the day & were now forecasting a decrease to begin on Sunday & continue through Monday. They were correct; 3 hours later Dora became a Category 4 hurricane with maximum sustained speeds of 130 mph & hurricane force winds extending out to 25 miles. Dora continued to gain strength throughout the day until maximum sustained winds were nearly 145 mph in the early evening. Dora is steadily moved westward at about 18 mph.


That low pressure area off the coast of Mexico became Tropical Depression Six-East early this morning. It had maximum sustained winds of 35 mph & was moving northwesterly at about 14 mph. It is forecast to continue in that direction over the weekend then turn towards the west-northwest on Monday. While it is forecast to become a tropical storm later today, it is also expected to begin weakening until it becomes a remnant low by Tuesday.


Tropical Depression Six-E gained speed over the next few hours, with maximum sustained winds increasing to 40 mph & became Tropical Storm Eugene about mid-day. By early afternoon, wind speeds had increased to 50 mph. It continues to move northwesterly at about 15 mph.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Ina, Kathy, & Jackie!

No comments:

Post a Comment