Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Picking Up Trudy's "New" Car, Part 1

Yesterday Trudy & I made arrangements for me to take her to Kona today after she got off work to pick up the SUV she bought from Anne & Catie, which has been at the collision repair shop; someone ran in to Catie just before she sold it. Trudy texted this morning just before 6 saying that she thought she should go take a COVID-19 test.


She called a couple hours later to let me know that she was unable to get a test at the local hospital; they now only test people being admitted to the hospital. So she tried through her healthcare provider & was told she would need an appointment for that; but they did not have any until tomorrow. Auē! Her employer requires a clinic-administered test to allow her to go back to work, but to pick up her car today her last resort was to use an at-home test kit. She texted me a little later, hers had expired! Auē! I went down & dropped off several of the tests I had that were not expired. (I had 2 that were.)


Later I got a text; she is positive. Auē! I dropped off a bottle of Microban spray & some hand sanitizer. Right now they are good on food supplies but if they need more she will give me a call. Her mom will be making her own meals while Trudy stays in her room. She said she thinks this is the worst it will get since her throat had been sore the past couple of days but she thought it was just from smoking. We shall see; being a smoker is a pre-existing condition that can make your COVID-19 outcome worse. Fortunately she is fully vaccinated which will help alleviate symptoms. Her mom is also fully vaccinated; hopefully that will keep her from getting infected. Trudy was also going to call today & make an appointment for next week for a COVID-19 test from her health care provider so she can go back to work as soon as possible.

Trudy checked with Glenn to see if he could help today but he was busy. Her friend Debi was available, unfortunately Debi had been around Trudy during her infectious stage. Although Debi is currently testing negative we really need to wait for a negative test on Day 5 of her last date of exposure to Trudy before anyone sits in an enclosed car with her for over an hour to go pick the car; the repair folks did not want it sitting there for 5 more days waiting for Debi to test negative. So tomorrow Fran & I will go to Kona to pick up the "new" car.

In the meanwhile I organized my canning jars. I moved the empty jars out of the lower cabinets & moved them to the top of the upper cabinets. They are also labelled so I know how many of each size I have. The filled canning jars are in the lower cabinet which now also has more room for the rest of the jams I will be canning for the remainder of the year.


We received another Fire Weather Watch information statement from Hawaiʻi Island Civil Defense. Our district as well as 4 others are under a fire watch beginning tomorrow morning. The watch also noted that northeast winds are anticipated to be blowing at 15 to 30 mph with gusts up to 45 mph. Dane & I have been discussing how much more on the ball the Hawaiʻi Island Civil Defense seems to be than the Maui County Civil Defense. On the day of the devastating wildfires on Maui I got about 10 alerts for fires on Hawaiʻi Island; people on Maui that have been interviewed said they got no alerts at all.


This morning the low pressure area about 800 miles south of Hilo that was given a 10% chance of becoming more organized was even smaller. It was now forecast to have a 0% chance of becoming a more organize system in 7 days. By the evening it had petered out & was no longer showing up on the maps.  


Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Wendy & Yvonne!

No comments:

Post a Comment