Friday, August 11, 2023

Where Is She?

I am rarely on Facebook any more but yesterday I made a quick post to let friends there know I was safe since I had received many texts, emails, & phone calls. While I was on FB, I noticed that a friend from Washington who was on vacation in west Maui had posted early on Tuesday morning, but had not posted anything since then. Some other friends on FB noticed the same. Hoping she is safe and just stuck out there in a no cell or wi-fi service zone right now. 


I slept most of today; I'm pretty sure it is a response to the COVID-19 vaccination I got yesterday. My body is working to create antibodies to something that is invading & I am okay with that. For dinner I heated up a bowl of chicken & papaya soup that Dane had given me yesterday; we made a car-to-car hand off in the parking lot in Waimea as he was on his way home to Hilo & I was returning from Hilo after my medical appointments. It was so ʻono & much appreciated!


When I visited Aunty Doris in Hilo yesterday, she brought out a photo she had found while cleaning out some things. It was of Uncle George, the older of my mother's 2 brothers, who passed away in 2006. According to the information on the back of the photo, it was taken on December 10, 1953, in Korea; Uncle George & Uncle Tom had served in Korea at the same time. I took a photo of the photo & sent it to Uncle George's daughters.

"Dec. 10, 1953 - Korea" (photographer unknown)

On my way back it was raining on the mountain road, so I took Akoni Pule Highway. I drove past part of the area of Kohala Ranch that burned in the fire on Tuesday. I was unable to see if any homes were damaged but the perimeter fence & trees around the guard station as well as the station itself were damaged. It looked like the fire only got as far north as Milepost 8.5; I think it burned out there due to the fire in July 2022 in that area that removed a lot of the fuel for a wildfire. Lapakahi is at Milepost 14 so was not in any danger. 

The plastic fencing near the wildfire melted.
Guard station is in background by trucks, many plants around it have burned.

There is a low pressure system in the Central Pacific region about 1650 miles east-southeast of Hilo that is predicted to have a 40% chance of becoming a tropical depression in 48 hours. It is moving westerly at about 10 mph.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Bev & Sistah T! A me ka Hauʻoli lā Hānau e ʻAnakala Tom! He would have been 93 today!

Thomas Tadashi Takimoto (08/11/1930 - 06/02/2023).


No comments:

Post a Comment