Saturday, July 11, 2026

Early Birthday Pie

When I went to drop off a plate of dinner from the Kohala Jodo Mission potluck with my friend Libby, she gave me an early b-day pie! Specifically chocolate ganache pie with raspberry drizzle! A wonderful addition to my acceptable sources of lipids for the anything-but-boiled-vegetables meal plan! (She knows I like dark chocolate.)


There were too many things going on today! The Kohala Jodo Mission's Obon observance started this morning with the blessing of the graves at 10 am. It was then followed by a veterans memorial, then the Hatsubon service for people who have passed away since last year's Hatsubon service. At nearly the same time there was a service for hoa hānau Lem's buddy Clifford & also a service for Marcia, the wife of Joe, one of the very active kūpuna leaders I have come to know in the community. Joe was also a classmate of my Aunty Judy. Fran & I stuck around for the lunch after Clifford's service; he had specifically told Fran he wanted her to be there. I strategically chose my carbs & proteins. With the blessings of Clifford's wife Cynthia & half-sister Lehua, I made a plate to take home for Kai.

Top row - carbs including culturally significant ones; Bottom row - proteins.

In the evening we had a choice between going to the ʻOhana Kilo Hōkū stargazing at Moʻokini Heiau or the dinner potluck at the Kohala Jodo Mission. We ended up deciding on the potluck since the weather was turning & a bunch of clouds were moving in that would make stargazing less than ideal. In the end, Kai did not go to either; he was too burned out from the morning activities at KJM where he was representing the family. It was a little too much for him & he was out of spoons.  

I went to the dinner potluck, & like the lunch, tried to be selective with my protein & carb choices for dinner. I made plates to take home for Kai & Libby who had also been invited to this potluck but was too busy preparing for a trip to Oʻahu.


I did the bare minimum in Mandarin in Duolingo to keep up my streak. But Lingopie takes more time & effort, I was unable do anything so I ended up losing my 4 day streak. I will have to avoid starting so late in the evening with Lingopie so that I can finish a decent amount of Mandarin to keep the streak going.

The next episode of the eruption at Kīlauea is likely between now & the 13th.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Kasimir! 

No comments:

Post a Comment