Tuesday, July 14, 2026

Lunch with Jeri

Hoa hānau Jeri is in Hilo for the next few days. We went to visit today & brought lunch from Kawamoto Store. Although we arrived about 11 in the morning, a lot of things were already gone. We found out that Ricky, the server who helped us at Kawamoto's, just returned from a visit to Seattle-area where his son & family lives.

Rather slim pickin's today.
My lunch plate; no iceberg lettuce from Taylor Farms here. 
 

On the way to Hilo, Kai wanted to stop at Lean-To Cafe in Honokaʻa, he really liked their coffee when we stopped in last year. We found out they are now called Hāmākua Coffee Roasters; same people, new more descriptive name. Co-owner Dionne made & served Kai his coffee.

Dionne takes Kai's coffee order while he decides what to eat with it.
I was told these were true poinciana flowers but the growth habit is very different.

We only ran in to 1 traffic jam on the way to Hilo today. It looked like they might have been doing an inspection of the bridge. (It was more evident on our drive back that the might have been doing an inspection.)


We dropped in at the Wailoa Art Center to visit with Dane. While there we toured the exhibits. The main exhibit, AHA! Art Immersive, honors the Americans with Disabilities Act. It celebrates disabled artists & the art created by them.

Lower level exhibit showed Shibuya font that was developed for easier reading.
The AHA! Art Immersive exhibit.
Touching artwork was encouraged.
Nearly all had a button that could be pushed to hear info about the artwork.
I had never before thought about how height of hanging would affect viewing by person in wheelchair.

Towards the end of our visit, Dane was talking to Kekai in Honolulu about having him mail some Parks swag. Since we would be there in less than a week, I volunteered to bring things back so that they could save some money. 

In today's Episode 7 of Fights Break Sphere, a bad guy was in awe of Xiao Yin's fighting ability & declared it "impossible!" That was a word I learned before Duolingo & Lingopie; it is frequently used in fantasy shows. I use it when I am exasperated with Moʻo or the cats. 不可能(bù kěnéng, impossible) can also mean, "No way!" It is on that list I referred to in yesterday's post about "".

不可能

My pronunciation on Duolingo sometimes seems better than at other times. Like today it was pretty good. But then I had trouble remembering what the words themselves meant! If I can pronounce them but I do not know what they mean its kinda worthless.

Still having problems with this part.

I listened to about 30 seconds of the video on Lingopie & collected a lot of words for the space repetition flash cards. Lingopie also has live group lessons with a teacher; I think I will try that later when I can understand more. And there are other videos I should also look at to give me a better background in Mandarin. 


This morning the HVO predicted the next episode of the eruption at Kīlauea was expected to be some time between today & the 18th. Since we were in Hilo we were hoping it would start while we were there, but all that happened was the start of the precursory phase which can last from a few hours to a day or more.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Dr. T,  Brenda, & Dianne! 

No comments:

Post a Comment