Friday, August 21, 2026

Tropical Storm Moke On Its Way!

Another tropical storm is headed our way! Tropical Depression Two-C became a tropical storm this morning after crossing over in to the Central Pacific region. It was given the name Moke, which is Hawaiian for Moses. Yesterday at lunch this was being discussed because one of the planners who had presented at the Leeward Planning Commission meeting, whose given name is Moses, goes by his Hawaiian name Moke unless it is for something official. 


Currently Tropical Storm Moke is about 660 miles southeast of Hilo & traveling west-northwesterly at about 9 mph. Sustained winds speeds are about 45 mph & are expected to gradually increase over the next few days. Tropical storm force winds extend out about 70 miles from the center; Moke is expected to bring heavy rainfall & may produce life-threatening flooding. Fortunately, I am in an area that does not flood; the topography is not conducive to flooding. Glad I did not remove the plastic sheeting that I covered the door to the deck with! 

No comments:

Post a Comment