Friday, April 13, 2018

No Room at the Inn

Dad was supposed to be discharged today to a skilled nursing facility but Patient Care Coordinator Riza called this morning. She said Kaiser's policy is to have patients discharged by 12 noon on Friday or wait until Monday. Since it was already 10:30, and she had not been able to find anything yet, she said we would need to wait until Monday. In the meanwhile, Dad had a banana & 1/2 a Breeze for breakfast and did some PT with Julie; he sat in the chair & did some leg raises. At lunch Dad ate 1/2 of his peanut butter & jelly sandwich, a little of the Breeze, and a little of the Magic Cup; if the Magic Cup was vanilla instead of chocolate he might have eaten more.
Dad enjoying his peanut butter & Jelly sandwich.

Very late in the day Riza called again; she might have a bed at Maunalani for Dad on Monday! Or perhaps Tuesday; she will know more when she gets in on Monday. In the meanwhile, I got a return call from Ting, a social worker with the Veterans Administration. She said when Dad gets to Maunalani, work with their social worker to submit the paperwork to the VA for Dad to be covered when he reverts to Intermediate Care Facility (ICF) status. Ting said to start the paperwork immediately, she said don't wait until Dad transitions from needing a Skilled Nursing Facility to the ICF since approval could take a long time; good to know.

Curtis & I had lunch at Sunrise Cafe. He had the Chicken Caesar Wrap and I went to the salad bar. I have decided to continue going to the salad bar since my weigh-in this morning showed that I managed to lose 4 pounds since last week's weigh-in by eating salads and getting a minimum of 250 steps in each hour. Yay!
Chicken Caesar Wrap. (Photo by Curtis)
Salad.

I started out the morning by calling Mom's Edward Jones branch here to find out if they had the updated 1099 form for me. It was very frustrating, Nathan answered & he didn't know anything. Solange was not in today and Keoki had just left for a meeting. All Nathan could do was give me the Client Relations number that Solange had given me on Monday. So I called them again; they were more knowledgeable. Sarah told me the paperwork was completed yesterday and that Keoki's office should be able to print one and FAX it to H & R Block; she put me on hold & called Keoki's office to tell them what to do. After I got off the phone with Sarah, I called Nathan; I gave him the FAX number for the H & R Block office I was dealing with. Then I went about 30 minutes early to my appointment with Mike to check if the paperwork had been received; it had! Yay! Everything else went smoothly with Mike and he completed Mom & Dad's tax return. I'm glad he knows what to do!

Today is the 1st anniversary of the papayas being planted in the ground. I am really glad the extra month they spent crowded in the original pot I got them in did not set them back. Or if it did, it's not noticeable. I also picked another papaya today; I'm keeping that one for myself.


It was a good thing I wrote most of this while I was at Kaiser with Dad, the power was out when I got home. I'm pretty sure it was due to the lightning storm we were in the middle of as I was on my way home; there was also a lot of rain. Initially it was our block and further south that was without power; then houses to the north of us also went dark. Since the feeder default position is with the door closed, the cats got locked out as soon as the power went out; they weren't happy about that. In the meanwhile, I got in 14 of my 14 hours of 250 steps again!
This is what it looked like when I got home.
The batteries in the Wireless Whiskers had just enough power left for me to set it in the open position.
This is so you know I didn't just use the photo from yesterday!

Happy Birthday to BobAnn & John D! Happy 44th Anniversary to Mary Ellen & Michael!

No comments:

Post a Comment