Monday, April 30, 2018

One Step Forward

Every time I think Dad might be making progress, there seems to be a minor setback. It's great that Dad has way less pain and is getting out of bed more. He still needs help but much less than before. And I got him to wheel himself about 15 feet from the elevator down the hall. The setback is the same one, he still isn't eating a bunch. Dr. Gries came by today, he said the Remeron takes 1 to 2 weeks to start working, if not, they will adjust the dosage.


We didn't see Popokilani this morning. And Dad wasn't really interested in the exercises either and insisted on going back to bed. Since it was still 45 minutes before the Namaste & Music session started I couldn't really find a good reason to keep him up. I think I will change it up a little tomorrow. I think we'll have him eat in bed, then get in to the wheelchair to go outside & play with the cat. That should get us close to the time that the Namaste & Music session starts.


When Curtis arrived this afternoon, we got Dad in the wheelchair to go see Lynn playing the ukulele. We were about 15 minutes early so we went to find Popokilani. She was at the end of the patio area sleeping in the shade; she sat on the table for a short while with Dad. Dad also watched a fishing video while we waited for the ukulele session to start. Lynn & Gloria were able to get Dad to sing along with them, he also stayed for the whole hour that they were playing & singing.



I'm getting better with the walk to the Maunalani Park and back. On my 1st walk I was going at about 2.4 mph. Today, even with it being sunny, I did it at 2.7 mph! Granted, I am breathing hard enough that I wouldn't be able to talk to anyone while walking. But I am not breathing so hard that I have to breathe through my mouth. On another note, one of the nurses said I was the athletic one; if you know Curtis, you know the bar is not that high.

The Roommates bought dinner tonight. We discussed food allergies (none), food dislikes (a few more), cooking ability (limited), & schedules (variable). This week I will do all the cooking, mainly from the things in the freezer. Next week we begin the shared cooking duties. I will also be doing the majority of the food purchases at Kokua Market.
From upper left, spiraling clockwise in: Seasoned Soybeans, Jumbo Boiled Peanuts, Corned Beef Cabbage, Spicy Tempura Shrimp Sushi, Gyoza, Grilled Salmon, Salad, & BBQ Beef,

Last night Shiro & Xander were sharing the chair. One of the Roommates left his backpack on Xander's sleeping pad so he had to look for another place.
Front Xander, back Shiro.

One of The Roommates practiced filling Xander's insulin syringe this evening. But he decided he needed a little more time before he attempts to administer the shot to him, so I did it.

What's worse than stepping in cat puke first thing in the morning? Stepping in old cat puke first thing in the morning! Because it's cold and clammy; personally I prefer that it is fresh and warm when I step in it. I'm pretty sure what I stepped in this morning is from Xander because of his pancreatitis. It's definitely not Shiro since its not the color of his food. And Chibi rarely pukes.


No comments:

Post a Comment