Monday, September 23, 2024

Nāpau Crater Eruption Pau

According to the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory update this morning about 8:30 am, the eruption at Nāpau Crater is over. So about 7 days long, similar to the eruption earlier in June. The HVO activity summary stated that, "[g]eophysical signatures of eruptive activity have all returned to background levels." It had officially been listed as "paused" since Friday morning.


I did not see any vog over Kona as I was on my way there or while I was right in Kona. These are the views that I usually see of Hūalalai, not the ones from last Thursday.

Looking down the coast towards Kona.
Looking at Hūalalai.

Yes, it was my 3rd trip in 5 days! Auē! The brand new USB-C wall charger for my new phone was faulty so I went in to get one that worked. Jeremiah, who helped me on Friday, helped me again today. We tested the new wall charger out with the charging cable that came with my phone & my phone to make sure everything worked properly together before I walked out of the Verizon store. Usually I am in Kona only about once a month.

There is a low pressure system about 1000 miles southeast of Hilo; it is moving westerly at about 5 to 10 mph. The Central Pacific Hurricane Center gives it a 10% chance of becoming a tropical cyclone in 7 days, however, they also say the environmental conditions are becoming more unfavorable for the development of a tropical depression.

 

Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Bruce, Mike, Christopher, & Kito!


No comments:

Post a Comment